PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Just thought I would share this information for those that may be in a similar situation like me. I've been a cigar smoker for about 7 years and a pipe smoker for a little more than 5 years. I regularly smoke in my shop (Man Cave) as I live in the Pacific Northwest and its usually cold, wet and just not ideal for smoking outside. My shop is broken up into three rooms, a office/bonus room, a single car garage, and a back work shop/storage area. I converted the garage into the Man Cave, and the wife hates that it "stinks" all the time from my pipes and cigars. She routinely complains that it "stinks" whenever she goes out there to get food out of one of the freezer chests, or has to get something out of storage. Now, when I smoke I will open my shop windows and turn on a fan to pull the smoke out of the shop, and while it does help the Man Cave still as an aroma of pipes/cigars. Well, I recently bought a Pet Odor Eliminator candle, and have been using it each time I enjoy a pipe or cigar. It really seems to be helping.
Yesterday my buddy came over to hang out and smoke a pipe, and after a cigar and several pipes it was pretty smokey in the Man Cave. About 30 minutes after my buddy left my wife came home and came out to the shop and said this... "It smells good in here." I was stunned. When I said "what," she said again that it smells good out here and smells like the candle. Wow... I was surprised. Apparently the candle really works as it's just not for pet odors. Now in conjunction with that I have been using a Scentsy which is like a candle but is not. So I've been using the open window with fan, the Cinnamon scented Scentsy, and the Cinnamon Apple Pet Odor Eliminator candle and the Man Cave doesn't "stink" of pipes/cigars. It has a more pleasing aroma, so for those that have a better half that don't like the way your house/Man Cave smells of pipe/cigar smoke; try a Pet Odor Eliminator candle. It seems to be working well for my wife, and me too. :puffy:

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Thanks for the advice. I use Ozium but it really only works for small spaces. I'll look into the Pet Odor Eliminator candle...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My wife loves the smell, and says it's quite manly, but a Lampe Berger catalyst lamp can eliminate smoke odors very effectively. The pet candle sounds interesting, though. Will have to pick one up!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I was going to be a jackass and say "find a good place to smoke in the house so the garage will smell better for the wife" but after reading the happy ending I felt like a dick changed my mind. :nana:
Good to hear you found a solution for the pipe/cigar smell. I smoke both as well and the smell can definitely be strong and unpleasant. :puffy:

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
I smoke in my apartment and only notice a smokey smell rarely. I do burn incense as well tho... no candles. The problem I have is the smell in my car. I think the cloth interior obviously holds the "Smoke" smell.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@jkrug - LOL I don't mind the pipe/cigar aroma in the shop, though at times it can be pretty strong but the wife hates it. So like any good husband, I go out of my way to make the wife happy... well to a point. Happy wife, happy life. :mrgreen:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Just a couple weeks ago, I bought this thing. It's actually quite brilliant! It cleans 1500sqft and monitors are quality, adjusting itself accordingly. It sits across the room and within seconds of my lighting a pipe, it turns on high after sensing smoke and turns down when it's gone. I thought perhaps it would've been less practical, more gimmick, but it seriously works!! It's VERY well engineered and constructed! It has an app to control it from anywhere outside/inside home and monitors air quality.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
+1 here on the Lampe Berger catalyst lamp! We've had great results here. I too smoke in the garage "man cave" area... and My Majesty happily tolerates even stenches she doesnt much like from my pipes. The problem comes from bleed-through to the family room right next door. The Lampe Berger completely neutralizes even GLP Gaslight fumes in about 20 minutes max. And very much economically... especially when some of the guys here published how to homebrew Lampe Berger fluid!

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
FYI
http://petkeepersecrets.com/pet-odor-exterminating-candles-dont-use-them/
Nasty stuff in those candle.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mrs. Cortez (aka. Shoe Lady) once complained about the smell of pipe smoke, so I raised a leg and broke wind.

She gave me an exasperated eye roll and stormed away -- never again to bring up the subject.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@4Noggins - the candle I have is Made in the USA and not one from China or else where, and is said to contain only paraffin and soy with enzymes to attack the odors. I appreciate the concern, but the candle I have I believe is different than what is being discussed in the link you posted. Thanks though, its good to know that some of them aren't healthy for us.

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I have tried the Lampe Berger and with a ceiling fan it will not stay lit, even with the cap on top.
Any ideas on the lamp staying lit?

Status
Not open for further replies.