PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

maiteyOh

Lurker
Feb 17, 2023
This is an honest answer….

To get a more “elegant” pipe smoking experience when in public…..

1. Dry the tobacco appropriately. Using pipe cleaners in public does not add to an “elegant” appearance.

2. Use common sense in terms of dress, mannerisms, having clean glasses (if wearing them), and be tidy.

3. Do not be “showy” but instead be gentle, calm, and subdued.

4. Have the experience where the pipe is NOT the “event” but is instead an aspect of what you are simply doing as part of another activity/event.

Basically, just simple, common-place thoughtfulness will make you appear “elegant” to others when smoking your pipe.

Now, that said…. there are times where you may not want or need “elegance” while smoking your pipe too. I have had many times of both across my many decades of pipe smoking. It is just basically working to “fit in” within the given situation.
Nice answer. Thanks. A bit of tweeking and I will be drifting away from looking like a steam train engineer after 2 or 3 bowls

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Dry, dry and dry your tobacco.
Pack lightly - gravity feed
Tamp lightly.
Sip - do not puff like a puffing Billy
I don't use them, but filters (not stingers) will reduce moisture

Channel Bing (Crosby)
A smoking jacket and fez only when smoking at home or in your club smoking room (cigar or pipe night)
If that still doesn't work, employ a valet
Took long enough to get to a smoking jacket and fez.
Oh, and a monocle. You need a monocle.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Using pipe cleaners in public is certainly an unseemly breach of etiquette, especially in genteel surroundings. When I have excess drool in my pipe, I simply remove it from my face, grab the bowl, and sling the pipe bit forward in a swift arc toward the floor. Centrifugal force takes care of the problem, and no one's the wiser. Works best on a thick, rich carpet. Try it, you'll like it.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Using pipe cleaners in public is certainly an unseemly breach of etiquette, especially in genteel surroundings. When I have excess drool in my pipe, I simply remove it from my face, grab the bowl, and sling the pipe bit forward in a swift arc toward the floor. Centrifugal force takes care of the problem, and no one's the wiser. Works best on a thick, rich carpet. Try it, you'll like it.
If you happen to be on tile or hardwood, it's best to aim at the back of the lady wearing the darkest dress in the room.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
pipe smoking more civilised

Hey I’m just laughing with you, not at you, because we have a very uncivilized crowd around here at times... LOL 😆

Don’t worry about being so Elegant, enjoy whatever you do, there is no right or wrong!

Just be yourself! ;)

Of course, depending on how you smoke, it is very common, and good practice to occasionally run pipe cleaners through the pipe, otherwise it might build up to much moisture, and it starts tasting bad.

Have fun, and be a slob too! LOL 😆

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nothing about me is elegant and refined. I smoke for my own pleasure and don't give a rat's behind how my image projects to others.
100% this

I do nothing to win the approval of others, if they don't like me the way I am, t-shirt, jeans, worn boots, and smoking then they can go pound sand. I'm still happy and enjoying what I'm doing and smoking.