Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Forgive me if this has been covered but I couldn't find a previous thread. I am a big fan of the golden age of pipes, the way they featured on the silver screen, the elegant way they were smoked.
I think of my own smoking and I am curious to know if I am missing any tricks.
For example, I tend to run very wet and every couple of minutes I'm running a pipe cleaner to wick away the moisture.
After a bowl, I clean the bowl out and give it a strong puff to get any left over ash or carbon out, creating a fair cloud of particulates.
I feel that I'm lacking refinement and would welcome any tips on how to keep my pipe smoking more civilised.
It's the nature of movies (and other entertainment) to skip over the dirty chores or mundane parts of life, unless it's important to the plot.

A film is composed of many, many takes, spliced together. No doubt that lots of relights and pipe cleaning take place between shots, in order to convey the image that the actor is effortlessly and cleanly smoking throughout the scene. :)

Perhaps the most elegant thing to do with a pipe, by modern sensibilities, would be to simply use it as a prop and not fill or light it at all. But screw that, we want to smoke! So focus on better technique like taking smaller puffs, spaced out a little to reduce moisture buildup. Relights are no problem, use them for dramatic pauses. Then clean your pipes out of the sight of anyone else. ;)

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
A good technique to look smart when smoking a pipe in the street is to take a good swig of cheap cologne. I assure you that it will be the most manly image in town. I haven't tried it yet, as I once did it with lemon, and ended up speaking Japanese to an ice cream vendor.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's the nature of movies (and other entertainment) to skip over the dirty chores or mundane parts of life, unless it's important to the plot.

A film is composed of many, many takes, spliced together. No doubt that lots of relights and pipe cleaning take place between shots, in order to convey the image that the actor is effortlessly and cleanly smoking throughout the scene. :)
A word about effortlessly: How many times have you noticed any character having the slightest problem with parking? And when it's in the country, they seldom get near the front door, and often leave the car in an odd position.
Perhaps the most elegant thing to do with a pipe, by modern sensibilities, would be to simply use it as a prop and not fill or light it at all. << Snipped bits out >>
Wouldn't that be the definition of a poseur? :)

Reactions: ThermionicScott