PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I’ve had several where people use water transfer pumps to attempt at transferring gasoline. ??

Others involved using an actual shop vac to transfer gas from one vehicle to the other.

I rejoice in stupidity.
Sir, if no one tells you Thanks for your service! You do Darwin awards for job security ?

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
The thing no one talks about with EVs is that the produce so much pollution in the manufacturing of them that they essentially negate all the environmental' benefits. I have read that you need to drive an EV for 50,000 miles before it's environmental damage starts being less than a regular old car.

So making everyone buy a brand new EV instead of using second hand ICEs (and actually, making people buy brand new 'efficient' ICEs) is probably doing far more environmental damage than if they had just left everything as it was. Knowing how governments work, they will realize this in 10 years time and make us all get gas guzzling V8s again to undo all the damage they've done.
Actually, electric vehicle lifetime environmental costs from all aspects, that is from construction through use and finally recycling, is about one half of that of an ICE vehicle. This is according to a study from Argonne National laboratory.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Actually, electric vehicle lifetime environmental costs from all aspects, that is from construction through use and finally recycling, is about one half of that of an ICE vehicle. This is according to a study from Argonne National laboratory.
1. Got a cite?
1A. Any corroborating studies?
2. It's from the government, it must be true.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London

I'd have to look to find it again, but the figure I was quoting was from a pro-environmentalist source, and corroborates a lot of info I've seen about the issue anyway.

I agree, over their whole life time, a EV will be less environmentally damaging, but we are talking at least 20 years or so to see the benefits, during which time localities have been wrecked by lithium mining, and children killed my 'artisanal' cobalt mining. And I haven't seen a discussion of how we scrap them at the end of their lifespan.

I've yet to be convinced the problems of EVs are worth the benefits, especially considering the slowness of the move to 'green' energy means we just move the emissions from the car itself to a powerplant somewhere else, and outsource the pollution of manufacturing to developing countries whom we then lecture for the damage they are doing.

The only real argument in favour of an EV, in my opinion, is cleaner city air, but I suspect all the money being spent would be better invested in 'cleaner' ICE cars.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Tesla Roadster have a battery pack that is so costly to change out, and Tesla doesn’t warrant it, that specialty shops have sprung up to retrofit the batteries.

These retrofits can cause fires from the voltages and exacting tolerances being even slightly violated.

I can’t post photos. But fires are not uncommon.

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Id like an electric vehicle in my garage and powered from MY electric station hooked to a solar panel on my roof. Sounds great but I expect politics, lies, power companies... to subliminally sabotage or tax it to hell.

Reactions: Egg Shen

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Ooh. I would love to see this science.

Reactions: woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Battery component mining and battery disposal alone tell a different story. And until more non-fossile energy power can be added to the grid, the facts will speak for themselves. You are driving a coal/oil/gas fired car.
If you'll review these and similar studies, you'll see that those aspects were accounted for. BTW, I don't personally have an electric car, but I'm currently getting 58mpg from my hybrid.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If you'll review these and similar studies, you'll see that those aspects were accounted for. BTW, I don't personally have an electric car, but I'm currently getting 58mpg from my hybrid.
I'm not sure how you "account" for the unknown long-term impact of the ecological/political/social devastation that the mining has inflicted. Not that fossil fuels haven't done similar damage.