PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
The anti-nuclear hype is often nuts, but I read a book describing how devastating it will be when a third of the waters of the earth are poisoned with radioactivity.
I’m far more afraid of it then coal.

IMHO
It’s just a matter of when: Ever mourn a company with 150 year track record of quality product suddenly change and churn out garbage for a quick buck…
Time is quite an adversary…
Nuclear is a great option short term but “accident” count will eventually balloon*; Trouble will be difficult to reverse and then we have two problems (or more).

*Unless somebody is mistaken and fallout doesn’t last as long as predicted.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
There's always a lot of hullabaloo about nuclear being dangerous, how Greens/NIMBYs make it impossible etc. That's not the real issue, if hippies and uptight wasps had that much sway over major regional power companies it'd be a very different world.

The real issue is nukes are incredibly expensive upfront to build and take around 10 years to complete. They're just not something that can reasonably be accomplished at the municipal or state level. And currently the federal government has little interest in spending a lot of fed money on regional power grids. France is a great example of what I'm talking about. I'm sure once power demand becomes a raging issue politicians will lick their lips and start addressing the problem. Of course it'll be too late but they live for that kind of thing.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
There's always a lot of hullabaloo about nuclear being dangerous, how Greens/NIMBYs make it impossible etc. That's not the real issue, if hippies and uptight wasps had that much sway over major regional power companies it'd be a very different world.

The real issue is nukes are incredibly expensive upfront to build and take around 10 years to complete. They're just not something that can reasonably be accomplished at the municipal or state level. And currently the federal government has little interest in spending a lot of fed money on regional power grids. France is a great example of what I'm talking about. I'm sure once power demand becomes a raging issue politicians will lick their lips and start addressing the problem. Of course it'll be too late but they live for that kind of thing.
This makes sense.

I drive an EV because it's effing fast and is technologically light years ahead of its gas consuming cousins. Every single morning I wake up to a car with a full "tank of gas". Occasionally, it gets updated with cool new features and the latest, greatest software, all free of additional charge. I still have a Diesel truck for the Airstream though.... puffy

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I drive an EV because it's effing fast and is technologically light years ahead of its gas consuming cousins. Every single morning I wake up to a car with a full "tank of gas". Occasionally, it gets updated with cool new features and the latest, greatest software, all free of additional charge. I still have a Diesel truck for the Airstream though.... puffy
See, you’re part of the problem.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Self contained pump, filter, filter casing, sending unit, flow and shut off control, and roll over fire prevention.

View attachment 156993
I don't have a problem with these pumps but US auto manufacturers could take some direction from Japanese manufacturers and put a damn access hatch for an obvious maintenance item. It's a 15 minute job on a Honda and all day on an American car. I still own cars with inline and cam driven pumps which are fine for carburetors. I will say the submerged pumps run a hell of a lot longer.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't have a problem with these pumps but US auto manufacturers could take some direction from Japanese manufacturers and put a damn access hatch for an obvious maintenance item. It's a 15 minute job on a Honda and all day on an American car. I still own cars with inline and cam driven pumps which are fine for carburetors. I will say the submerged pumps run a hell of a lot longer.
I investigated a fire a few years ago that involved a shortcut to the all day job.

The “genius” cut an access hole through the bed of the truck which allowed him to bypass dropping the tank. So he proceeded to extract the fuel pump and in doing so, he noticed sand in the gas tank.

His solution was to use a Bissell Shampooer, extra pool hose, duct tape and hose clamps.

He cobbled this together to form a Hillbilly Shop Vac.

So here’s the complex math…. Pulling gasoline through a system involving an unprotected motor and a camper top enclosure.

Amazingly he lived.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

I dropped a fuel take in a 1990 silverado 4 times.. The first 3 fuel pumps were no good, those came from Auto Zone. The forth time I bought a fuel pump from the local Chevrolet dealership.. It costed twice as much. The Auto Zone fuel pumps were guaranteed. But the labor was a bitch. Totally ridiculous the way they hide components to prevent you from doing your own work.. and that has to be the reason they made it so hard.

Problem is that sling new cars does not make much profit for dealerships.. The whole thing depends on ripping people off for service work.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I dropped a fuel take in a 1990 silverado 4 times.. The first 3 fuel pumps were no good, those came from Auto Zone. The forth time I bought a fuel pump from the local Chevrolet dealership.. It costed twice as much. The Auto Zone fuel pumps were guaranteed. But the labor was a bitch. Totally ridiculous the way they hide components to prevent you from doing your own work.. and that has to be the reason they made it so hard.

Problem is that sling new cars does not make much profit for dealerships.. The whole thing depends on ripping people off for service work.
Had that happen to me also. Luckily I had a fuel pump hatch.
I had to change a defective Auto Zone water pump on the side of I95 in S Carolina on a sunny August day. Required taking off the motor mounts and lifting the engine to get to one bolt. The pump was less than a month old.
Leson learned, OEM parts only for me.
I'll still take that over electronic and software problems.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I investigated a fire a few years ago that involved a shortcut to the all day job.

The “genius” cut an access hole through the bed of the truck which allowed him to bypass dropping the tank. So he proceeded to extract the fuel pump and in doing so, he noticed sand in the gas tank.

His solution was to use a Bissell Shampooer, extra pool hose, duct tape and hose clamps.

So here’s the complex math…. Pulling gasoline through a system involving an unprotected motor and a camper top enclosure.

Amazingly he lived.
I've heard of people cutting hatches for access with cutting wheels. Sparks and high pressure fuel lines, what could go wrong? This guy took it to a whole new level of stupidity.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019

Amazingly he lived.
This is like the rocket scientist that used my upright vacuum to pick up water, only more flammable ?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
This is like the rocket scientist that used my upright vacuum to pick up water, only more flammable ?
I’ve had several where people use water transfer pumps to attempt at transferring gasoline. ??

Others involved using an actual shop vac to transfer gas from one vehicle to the other.

I rejoice in stupidity.

Reactions: jpmcwjr