PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Egremont Crab Fair is Home of the Gurning World Championships
Egremont Crab Fair

Gurning contests are a rural English tradition. They are held regularly in some villages, with contestants traditionally framing their faces through a horse collar — known as "gurnin' through a braffin"... The World Gurning Championship takes place annually at the Egremont Crab Fair. The fair dates back to 1267, when King Henry III granted it a Royal Charter.
Gurn - Wikipedia

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
We have morning tea, afternoon tea, tea as a cuppa, tea as dinner, tea as supper after dinner, and we always wear tee’s
Yes, I forgot to mention, any time is Tea too. LOL ?

P.S. But I was talking of the particular called ‘Tea Time’, when some one says it’s Tea Time, not would you like Tea. :)

Last I remember being in NZ, when they said it was Tea Time they meant dinner. ?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yes, I forgot to mention, any time is Tea too. LOL ?

P.S. But I was talking of the particular called ‘Tea Time’, when some one says it’s Tea Time, not would you like Tea. :)

Last I remember being in NZ, when they said it was Tea Time they meant dinner. ?
You mean some people don’t refer to dinner as tea time? Weirdos

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Photo of Egremont Crab Fair clay pipe smoking; 1983. I was 1 year old then:)

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
That's some good stuff, thanks for sharing!
The speed smoking competition sounds very good. I'm always amazed when I read about the slow smoking competitions, taking 2-3 hours for a regular bowl... I'm too much of a steamboat for that.

giphy.gif

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
That's some good stuff, thanks for sharing!
The speed smoking competition sounds very good. I'm always amazed when I read about the slow smoking competitions, taking 2-3 hours for a regular bowl... I'm too much of a steamboat for that.

View attachment 168046
@Chaukisch I'd like to take part one year - this year's event is cancelled due to the Queen's death.
Another year to practice:)
Which bit of the film did you like best???
Just downed a clay pipe of Condor in 1 minute 15 seconds!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaukisch

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
@Chaukisch I'd like to take part one year - this year's event is cancelled due to the Queen's death.
Another year to practice:)
Which bit of the film did you like best???
Just downed a clay pipe of Condor in 1 minute 15 seconds!
The cancellation is too bad but I get it, the Queen's death is a huge thing for any Englishman. And I don't know if it would be appropriate at all but I think it woud've been nice to let the fair go on and dedicate this year to her majesty. Would've been nice for the people,
getting together for the flag and national anthem, some silent minutes in rememberance and sorrow but also for pipes and mugs held up in celebration and joy. I always say life is bittersweet and that's how I like it.
Good balance.

Anyway, I liked the whole film. Old footage is always comfy and I'm not ashamed to admit that I got wet eyes when they lit their pipes. I haven't had a single puff for four days now and it's getting cruel, even with cigars and other tobacco products around and inside my system. Life is not the same without a pipe.

I'll definitely try speed smoking when my order finally arrives but 1min15sec does sound pretty good.
Gratulations! Did you have steamed tongue for dinner that day? 😁

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The cancellation is too bad but I get it, the Queen's death is a huge thing for any Englishman. And I don't know if it would be appropriate at all but I think it woud've been nice to let the fair go on and dedicate this year to her majesty. Would've been nice for the people,
getting together for the flag and national anthem, some silent minutes in rememberance and sorrow but also for pipes and mugs held up in celebration and joy. I always say life is bittersweet and that's how I like it.
Good balance.

Anyway, I liked the whole film. Old footage is always comfy and I'm not ashamed to admit that I got wet eyes when they lit their pipes. I haven't had a single puff for four days now and it's getting cruel, even with cigars and other tobacco products around and inside my system. Life is not the same without a pipe.

I'll definitely try speed smoking when my order finally arrives but 1min15sec does sound pretty good.
Gratulations! Did you have steamed tongue for dinner that day? 😁
@Chaukisch Give it a go in a clay pipe like in the video. Who do you think will win the clay pipe smoking competition???

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You try and get a kid to climb up a 30 foot greasy telephone pole today.They just don't want to know.
well they have a lot more stuff to do then we did. I think a lot of what kids used to do just came from being bored.
Oh and I skipped over the word apple. So for a moment I was like are they throwing crab bits into the crowd?

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Who do you think will win the clay pipe smoking competition???
Unpredictable, whoever manages to get the best technique going I'd say.
I'm surprised they took small puffs. I think I would have a continuous hard draw while releasing smoke out of my nostrils, occasionally giving the pipe a little blow to release heat. Well, we'll see...

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Unpredictable, whoever manages to get the best technique going I'd say.
I'm surprised they took small puffs. I think I would have a continuous hard draw while releasing smoke out of my nostrils, occasionally giving the pipe a little blow to release heat. Well, we'll see...
@Chaukisch Would a continuous hard draw get more oxygen in and make the baccy burn hot and fast???

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
@halfdan
The pro's will know what they're doing and I never smoked fast deliberately but a continuous hard draw seemed logical to me. Although I imagine you'd puff anyway, just take longer draws. I'll see what works, hopefully soon. I've been yearning to test my strength against smokable nicotine for a while now.

Even in my early youth I smoked the harsh filterless cigarettes that my bar, beer and smoke loving grandfather would enjoy. Then my dad got me into rolling my own, of course with a strong tobac.
And often I'd roll real CIGARettes,
rolled with two papers glued to each other, thick and heavy hitting. I got many friends dizzy or even throwing up because they wanted to try some. The last time I felt properly dizzy was a year ago, with my first pipe and Clan pouch. And I really tuned up my nicotine consumption since then
but I'm still missing that angelic buzz in my ears. Not that I'm addicted or anything like that...

Ah, I'm babbling and dragging on as I like and tend to do. Sorry. 😁 Here's at least a picture of those harsh filterless cigarettes, because I still like the softpacks and their design.

813bc877b75868af2717decf572d19b6.jpg

I think it would be possible to have an international speed smoking competition right here on this fine forum with its fine members. Upload a video of you weighing the tobac, packing the pipe, lighting, smoking and finishing it. Wouldn't that be fun?
Everybody would have to get the same clay pipe but that's not really hard or expensive, at least according to this poor rat that boarded this great ship of the line. It's also additional work for admin and mods but maybe enough people would be up for it?

And again, sorry for these walls of drunken text. I'm new and passionate, have no nearby pipers but always a lot of thoughts that I want to put out. Please do endure, maybe have another pipe.puffy

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@halfdan
The pro's will know what they're doing and I never smoked fast deliberately but a continuous hard draw seemed logical to me. Although I imagine you'd puff anyway, just take longer draws. I'll see what works, hopefully soon. I've been yearning to test my strength against smokable nicotine for a while now.

Even in my early youth I smoked the harsh filterless cigarettes that my bar, beer and smoke loving grandfather would enjoy. Then my dad got me into rolling my own, of course with a strong tobac.
And often I'd roll real CIGARettes,
rolled with two papers glued to each other, thick and heavy hitting. I got many friends dizzy or even throwing up because they wanted to try some. The last time I felt properly dizzy was a year ago, with my first pipe and Clan pouch. And I really tuned up my nicotine consumption since then
but I'm still missing that angelic buzz in my ears. Not that I'm addicted or anything like that...

Ah, I'm babbling and dragging on as I like and tend to do. Sorry. 😁 Here's at least a picture of those harsh filterless cigarettes, because I still like the softpacks and their design.

View attachment 168256

I think it would be possible to have an international speed smoking competition right here on this fine forum with its fine members. Upload a video of you weighing the tobac, packing the pipe, lighting, smoking and finishing it. Wouldn't that be fun?
Everybody would have to get the same clay pipe but that's not really hard or expensive, at least according to this poor rat that boarded this great ship of the line. It's also additional work for admin and mods but maybe enough people would be up for it?

And again, sorry for these walls of drunken text. I'm new and passionate, have no nearby pipers but always a lot of thoughts that I want to put out. Please do endure, maybe have another pipe.puffy
@Chaukisch Got 7 bags of rubbish today; my highest daily total ever!
Got bought a pint of beer 🍺 and given 6 cigarettes for my efforts.
Going to the UK pipe show in Nottingham tomorrow; going to wear the Redcoat and smoke a clay pipe. Should I show the crowd my fast smoking???
Also, should I show them my 1 drag cigarette trick???
I'd like to see how long I can make a clay pipe of baccy last as well!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@Chaukisch Got 7 bags of rubbish today; my highest daily total ever!
Got bought a pint of beer 🍺 and given 6 cigarettes for my efforts.
Going to the UK pipe show in Nottingham tomorrow; going to wear the Redcoat and smoke a clay pipe. Should I show the crowd my fast smoking???
Also, should I show them my 1 drag cigarette trick???
I'd like to see how long I can make a clay pipe of baccy last as well!
wait what? bags or rubbish? Is this some British thing? Or do you just pick cigs out of the trash? I won't even think about the pint without further clarification.