PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Jim mentioned in a review, that a pot shape, with a wider chamber brings out more flavors/nuances.

All I can say is, my Radice Clear Bent Dublin, has a wider chamber with thicker walls, than any other pipe I’ve owned, and it happens to be the best smoker I’ve ever owned.

All I can say, is that every other pipe that had a wider chamber, compared to a pipe with a narrower chamber did yield more complexity.

So I am of the mindset for now, that does think that a wider chamber will bring out more flavors and nuances in complex blends, that you would otherwise not notice in a narrower chamber.

hmm 🤔

P.S. @JimInks would you please share your thoughts here on this? Ever since I read that review, I was always on the hunt for a wider chamber, and I have experienced this now.

Reactions: JimInks

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I also notice a wider chamber making a difference. I wouldn't say more complexity myself, but I noticed bowls are more consistent all the way through. More narrow ones seems the flavor is less consistent where you get more of one or another component, depending on how complex the blend is, and this is more true I think of ribbon than of flake (but in the same pipe, flake seems a more consistent flavor than ribbon in general). But the difference is minor to me... then again, I don't have any pipes that are truly narrow, they're all about the same diameter.

I do know however, that red pipes are faster.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I also notice a wider chamber making a difference. I wouldn't say more complexity myself, but I noticed bowls are more consistent all the way through. More narrow ones seems the flavor is less consistent where you get more of one or another component, depending on how complex the blend is, and this is more true I think of ribbon than of flake (but in the same pipe, flake seems a more consistent flavor than ribbon in general). But the difference is minor to me... then again, I don't have any pipes that are truly narrow, they're all about the same diameter.

I do know however, that red pipes are faster.

I would assume our palates are what make the differences in what others experience.

But try this out for an experiment and see then what you experience.

My approach for complex blends, which is what I mainly smoke, is to barely light them, not torch them in a big glowing ember, but only enough to take a few sips.

Then I draw easily/slowly taking these small sips, and then taste, hunting around like a wine taster.

Then I let the pipe cool completely down, relight and start over, this is how I smoke, and I believe yields maximum results of flavors and nuances.

Give it a try in your pipes, and let me know what you experience too? 🤔

I think when you do this in wider chambers you will experience more.

P.S. I also think consistency has to do with helping to maintain complexity.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
My approach for complex blends, which is what I mainly smoke, is to barely light them, not torch them in a big glowing ember, but only enough to take a few sips.
Interesting point. My experience has been similar where the times I’ve found that I get the strongest flavor in the initial light and sips. One of my current favorites, Constellation, was found this way but honestly hasn’t tasted as well as it did that first time. I’ll have to try your method more.

Reactions: PipeIT

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know you’ve thrown a few pipes away. What was it about these pipes that you decided bin them?
They either failed to pass a pipe cleaner, were becoming too small for my ever failing grip to hold, or just fell into being clutter from lack of interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: AroEnglish

smoky.flannel

Lurker
Oct 13, 2023
To add again, I'm not a fan of the Dublin shape, but bought one for sentimental reasons (a Malaga carved from an Armenian maker in Royal Oak and I'm half Armenian and live in the area).

I didn't reach for it often but noticed it had a conical chamber. Once I started smoking flakes in it, I reached for it more often since it smokes flakes like a champ.

In short, aesthetics play a major role and chamber shape and size make minor differences. Finish plays a minor role too in that I don't normally like rusticated pipes, but they are more comfortable to hold.
ok, this is off topic to my original post, but could explain flakes to me. I understand that it's a different style of tobacco, but that's about it.

Reactions: AroEnglish
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
IMO it is more like 50-50%

While any pipe will smoke tobacco, the size, shape, quality do matter. Bent pipes collect more moisture. Filter pipes smoke different with or without filters inserted. Light weight pipes easier to clench. Bits vary and fit different in different mouths. Briar vs Cob vs Meerschaum make a huge difference. Wide vs narrow and depth make a big difference.

I could go on for hours, but there is a whole section in this forum dedicated to this topic already.

smoky.flannel

Lurker
Oct 13, 2023
So I am of the mindset for now, that does think that a wider chamber will bring out more flavors and nuances in complex blends, that you would otherwise not notice in a narrower chamber.
What width would you consider wide? any recommendations?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You will notice a difference in smoke times of various pipes you have due to difference in the size of the bowl. You may also experience that some pipes some hotter than others due to various factors. When you encounter them just slow down you rate of puffing them.

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
I find larger bowls loosely packed taste better with Latakia forward blends.

My other favorite is orientals with which a smaller bowl seems preferable.

Just my taste of course

Jun 9, 2018
England
There's a big difference between my briars and gourd calabashes and meerschaum. The calabashes thin a strong blend out and you get a very cool, dry smoke. My meerschaum smokes very cleanly. I think maybe because it doesn't have a cake. Smoking Mcclelland Christmas Cheer in it is totally different than when I smoke it in my meerschaum.

As for shapes, I haven't noticed much of a difference. I've got a Peterson B10 that has a conical bowl and I haven't noticed any difference. The only real difference I've noticed is between bowl sizes.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
What width would you consider wide? any recommendations?

I didn’t read through this thread fyi but a cursory glance made it seem like there was a suitable answer here.