PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’m thinking of trying this blend so many say is a smooth, easy smoker and I’m kind of hunting for a daily driver.

I like EMP, London Mixture, and HH Balkan Blend but none enough for a “daily smoke”. I don’t mind spice and virginias, and like Bayou Morning, Habana Daydream, Yorktown, 1849 but again not as daily all-day smokes.

I’m very intrigued my the reviews on EGR, but pause at “Latakia”. I did just read @JimInks article noting that it’s 1% Latakia.

Would it be worth the hairy eyeball from the wife (in light of pipes and tobaccos showing up regularly even though we’re shopping properties)??

As you may infer from my screen name, I have a hard time not going overboard on addictions, and T/PAD is tenuously being held at bay…

Sorry for the ramble.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
My first-time trying EGR, I got halfway thru the little tin and without hesitation put in an order for 5 tubs - all they had in stock at the time - as I knew I had finally found a steady second to rotate off with my daily-bread, Prince Albert, as EGR fit right in.

Remember too, Latakia in very small doses has a decided and wholly different effect on a blend when compared to so-called English-type blends, which use significantly much much more Latakia. - Sherm Natman

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
For context, I don't smoke a lot of Latakia. It's not that I dislike it - I actually very much enjoy English and Balkan blends. I'm also trying to keep it that way, so I smoke a lot more Virginia- and Burley-based blends.

Edward G Robinson is very good and I'm debating a few tall cans for the future (never knowing what tomorrow will bring). The Latakia is noticeable if I look for it, but it's a Burley blend through and through. I enjoy Sutliff Match Walnut a bit more, but they're both similar to my walrus palate.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Definitely gonna get my hands on some, next order I put in. I’ve gotta dial back the PAD first-budget is definitely gone for a while after a 3 Lees, a couple Kaywoodies, a Briarlee, and a fleabay meer wound up in the mailbox in recent months since I joined up here (y’all are bad influences😆).
I’ll be tossing on or two out for trade once I’m legal…

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I used to smoke alot of it, but it got boring for me. I only smoke it rarely and to the best of my knowledge I haven't smoked any in maybe 6 months, but who knows, tastes change and I may go back to smoking it more regularly.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Latakia in small doses doesn't really "hide" in my opinion, as much as it really changes the character note of the other tobaccos in the blend by enhancing their flavor notes that might not have occurred without its addition. It's like what a small bit of sweetener does for something sour In a drink.