Edward G. Robinson Pipe Blend Launched (1946)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
@jiminks would enjoy reading this, if he hasn't already. Edward G Robinson blend would have been discontinued without Jim's passionate advocacy for the blend.

Jesse, I sent that to Jim some time ago. I took that picture with my phone on Nov 30 2015 at the NYPL while working my way through the 1944, 1945 & 1946 issues of the USTJ. homesteader must have found it on an old thread.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
Jesse, I sent that to Jim some time ago. I took that picture with my phone on Nov 30 2015 at the NYPL while working my way through the 1944, 1945 & 1946 issues of the USTJ. homesteader must have found it on an old thread.
Thanks for taking that picture. I found it online some time ago and couldn't remember where. I came across it the other day while looking for something else. I did a web search and couldn't find it online or in this forum, so I thought I'd share it.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
I might be speaking ou of the side of my head right now, but I think I remember Jim telling me a story during a phone call, that he started smoking a pipe before the age of 14. The only problem is that Blends like this weren't widely distributed so he would have never seen it!

Whats even funnier, is when people approach him thinking he is Edward G. Robinson.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I might be speaking ou of the side of my head right now, but I think I remember Jim telling me a story during a phone call, that he started smoking a pipe before the age of 14. The only problem is that Blends like this weren't widely distributed so he would have never seen it!

Whats even funnier, is when people approach him thinking he is Edward G. Robinson.
I was thirteen when I started pipe smoking. At the time, the various drug and grocery stores had at least 50 blends available for purchase. But, EGR was not one of them or I'd have been smoking it in the 1970s.

Yeah, there's been over 300 people who thought I was my avatar. At least 25 people actually thought I am Edward G. Robinson. A few of my favorite comments are:
1) "You don't look like you did in the movies".
2) "You look great for a man your age. My grand dad used to watch your movies when he was a kid".
3) One guy said, "You look better than you did in the movies". The fella next to him said, "I always watch your movies on Turner Classics".
4) "You look like him, but you don't sound like him".
5) "You must have gotten tired of making movies. I wish you make another one".

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
It would be great if we still had a regular journal like that. Not dissing the forum because it’s wonderful, but a print magazine would be nice too. Sigh. Different world now. I like books and magazines and newspapers dammit! Well, used to when they still existed. ?
We do have a journal. The North American Society of Pipe Collectors (NASPC) publishes a magazine on a quarterly basis, with contributions from some of our forum members, and others from the pipe community. All you need to do is become a member of NASPC for $21 for hard copy or $26 for both hard copy and email (the email is in color). naspc.org

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Jim, I did smoke it in the late 60s and70s. It was available in many shops in Chicago. I, too, was born in 1946. But, the first time I saw a pouch of EGR was at the small smoke shop my father ran, on the ground floor of the old Field Building in Downtown Chicago. I was a kid, and noticed the pouch among the tobaccos and cigars. My father was a huge Edward G. Robinson fan, and I told him I bet he had that 'cause of the picture on the pouch. He laughed and said it was good stuff, and that he had smoked some to be sure.
I remembered that, and when I began smoking, I often picked up a pouch, then made by Sutliff.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jim, I did smoke it in the late 60s and70s. It was available in many shops in Chicago. I, too, was born in 1946. But, the first time I saw a pouch of EGR was at the small smoke shop my father ran, on the ground floor of the old Field Building in Downtown Chicago. I was a kid, and noticed the pouch among the tobaccos and cigars. My father was a huge Edward G. Robinson fan, and I told him I bet he had that 'cause of the picture on the pouch. He laughed and said it was good stuff, and that he had smoked some to be sure.
I remembered that, and when I began smoking, I often picked up a pouch, then made by Sutliff.
That's really cool, Dino. I knew you had smoked EGR, but never heard this story until now. Thanks!

Speaking of EGR, I'm mentioned in this article regarding that: The Histories, Writings, and Pipe Smoking of Shelby Foote | Smokingpipes.com - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/the-histories-writings-and-pipe-smoking-shelby-foote?utm_source=Smokingpipes.com&utm_campaign=f61a94bbe9-Sun_Jun_27_2021_DailyReader&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0e8b6a473f-f61a94bbe9-209141265

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle

Jim,

I was reading your interview with Eddie Huffman in 2015 and wanted to ask why it was such a short piece?

Reactions: JimInks