PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
jiminnks isn't just a proponent and fan of this blend. I believe he was a prime mover in reviving its presence on the pipe tobacco market. I don't know the details, but I don't think we'd even have this blend, except as a rare vintage item in dusty tins, if jiminks hadn't promoted it. There's a story here, but it's not my story.
The short version of what happened:
In 2013, I contacted Sutliff about EGR because it was difficult to find, and only sold in tubs. I asked if it was possible to get a sample because it's tough to spend $40 on something you don't know whether you'll like or not. They said they would, and surprised me with a full tub instead of a sample. I was told to enjoy it because, as it turned out, on the day I contacted them, they had a board meeting, and decided to discontinue it because it didn't sell. They didn't mention EGR in their company catalogue or on their website, so hardly anybody knew EGR was an available product. I said it would sell if they promoted it, and sold it in a smaller quantity so people on a budget can afford to try it. They didn't think it would make any difference.

So, I started an internet campaign on a Friday on every forum I was a member of (12 at the time) to keep it in production. I suggested people e-mail Sutliff and ask that it not only stay in production, but that they should sell it in a tin or pouch. Tons of people did just that. By telephone, I contacted several e-tailers asking them to carry EGR (only Mars Cigars and Iwan Ries were carrying it at the time). Before I went to bed Sunday night/Monday morning (4:45 a.m.), I sent all the forum links to Sutliff's second-in-command. Later that morning, he called me, and said, "We surrender"! They got several e-tailers asking for it, and the great number of e-mails crashed their server for three days. One B&M ordered a case, which is twelve tubs. The fella I had been in contact with said that had not happened in the 15 years he had worked for Sutliff, and with California tobacco taxes being the highest in the nation, that certainly got his attention.

Sutliff not only decided to keep EGR in production, but they gave out over 2,000 free pouches to those who asked for them (many of them from this forum) to gauge response to the smaller size. They got very positive responses, and decided to sell it in the more affordable 1.5 ounce tins. I wrote the tin description (which I later rewrote at their request to comply with FDA rules), got them to change the photograph (the one they were using was really bad), and was involved in the new label design. They made a new batch, and sent me a big sample, saying they would not sell it unless I approved it, which I did. When the tins were put into production, they gave me the very first one as a collectable whch I greatly cherish, and still have unopened. They also gave me another tub.

I couldn't have gotten this done without the support of those who were around at the time, and with blends currently falling by the wayside because of the upcoming FDA rules, EGR will stay around because it is grandfathered in. Sutliff has always been good about listening to their customers, and luckily for us, they did.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In 2013, I contacted Sutliff about EGR because it was difficult to find, and only sold in tubs. I asked if it was possible to get a sample because it's tough to spend $40 on something you don't know whether you'll like or not. They said they would, and surprised me with a full tub instead of a sample. I was told to enjoy it because, as it turned out, on the day I contacted them, they had a board meeting, and decided to discontinue it because it didn't sell. They didn't mention EGR in their company catalogue or on their website, so hardly anybody knew EGR was an available product. I said it would sell if they promoted it, and sold it in a smaller quantity so people on a budget can afford to try it. They didn't think it would make any difference.

So, I started an internet campaign on a Friday on every forum I was a member of (12 at the time) to keep it in production. I suggested people e-mail Sutliff and ask that it not only stay in production, but that they should sell it in a tin or pouch. Tons of people did just that. By telephone, I contacted several e-tailers asking them to carry EGR (only Mars Cigars and Iwan Ries were carrying it at the time). Before I went to bed Sunday night/Monday morning (4:45 a.m.), I sent all the forum links to Sutliff's second-in-command. Later that morning, he called me, and said, "We surrender"! They got several e-tailers asking for it, and the great number of e-mails crashed their server for three days. One B&M ordered a case, which is twelve tubs. The fella I had been in contact with said that had not happened in the 15 years he had worked for Sutliff, and with California tobacco taxes being the highest in the nation, that certainly got his attention.

Sutliff not only decided to keep EGR in production, but they gave out over 2,000 free pouches to those who asked for them (many of them from this forum) to gauge response to the smaller size. They got very positive responses, and decided to sell it in the more affordable 1.5 ounce tins. I wrote the tin description (which I later rewrote at their request to comply with FDA rules), got them to change the photograph (the one they were using was really bad), and was involved in the new label design. They made a new batch, and sent me a big sample, saying they would not sell it unless I approved it, which I did. When the tins were put into production, they gave me the very first one as a collectable whch I greatly cherish, and still have unopened. They also gave me another tub.

I couldn't have gotten this done without the support of those who were around at the time, and with blends currently falling by the wayside because of the upcoming FDA rules, EGR will stay around because it is grandfathered in. Sutliff has always been good about listening to their customers, and luckily for us, they did.
do you have the bad photo? I really need t see it.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Im not sure which year the blend originated, but his first big movie role wasn’t until the 30s I think. I doubt it’s older than that.
Honestly I have no clue. I just googled it and it says ‘43 on a few retailers website. I was just shocked to see it still sealed in a can. For $70? I had to. It’s $45 for the modern - so I paid $25 premium for the age ?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland

That's a great story indeed! Always heart-warming to see grassroots movements achieving something!