Educate Me On Home Carpet Cleaning Methods?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I found the best way is to rip it all up and through it away, then install hardwood or laminate. Carpet is filthy, there is a bit of good literature out there on the health benefits of getting rid of carpet.

Ripping it all up and throwing it away might result in an astronomical power bill and/or hypothermia in my house.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Ripping it all up and throwing it away might result in an astronomical power bill and/or hypothermia in my house.
Ahh, a little north are we, yeah carpet does feel better on the feet in the colder months, but a good quality subfloor(DryCore makes a good one) under the new flooring and you don't notice it. Had a hard time convincing my Dad of this until he felt the basement floor in January at my place, and I keep the thermostat set to 20C year round, basement is always about 18C.

alexishector

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
We bought a shampooer a while back and have liked it. Had one of the most honest carpet cleaning company owners I can imagine come over after a puppy we had peed everywhere in about a week period. We worked on it and couldn’t get the spots to keep coming back.

He told us that he’s pretty much made his career on homeowners buying carpet shampooers because they always use too much soap and that causes everything to keep coming back up. He said the companies that sell the shampooers and the soap recommend too much soap, as well, so you run out of it faster, therefore buying more.

I say he was honest because he told me he’d fix it for me that day, or he recommended I try running the shampooer a few times over the next week without any soap, hot water only, just to get the rest of the soap back out of the carpet. I couldn’t believe how well it worked.

He didn’t charge me a nickel for coming out, gave me that bit of knowledge even though it meant him not getting paid, and called me two weeks later to follow up.

Once we learned that, our shampooer has been a lot better to use. We mix half of the detergent it calls for and only use the detergent on every other use carpet cleaning Fort Worth Texas. We don’t have a puppy problem anymore, but with the salt/mud/dirt up here, the carpets can get a little unsightly every few months. A quick touch up is all they need, now.
Hello.
The kids have trashed the house! Its a long story but there is food, texta pen, gum, paint, tomato, and god knows what else all through the carpet in about 3 rooms and a hall as well as the stairs.

I've had a look in the phone book but can't decide which method is better at cleaning these stains, there is the dry circular vacuum thing, or steam cleaning or dry cleaning etc, they all say they can do the job but i'm wondering which one would be the best at getting stains like these out?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hello.
The kids have trashed the house! Its a long story but there is food, texta pen, gum, paint, tomato, and god knows what else all through the carpet in about 3 rooms and a hall as well as the stairs.

I've had a look in the phone book but can't decide which method is better at cleaning these stains, there is the dry circular vacuum thing, or steam cleaning or dry cleaning etc, they all say they can do the job but i'm wondering which one would be the best at getting stains like these out?
Are you in the right forum? Most, if not all, of your posts deal with matters unrelated to pipes, and I could find no posts at all having to do with smoking a pipe.

There are many forums that deal with household issues such the above, and you won't have to resurrect zombie threads.