Educate Me On Home Carpet Cleaning Methods?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Thinking of hiring a service but wondering which method might the better option for me. What's your experience with carpet cleaning methods and companies and cost versus quality? Our carpet is tan and our kids are finally old enough to not cause daily stains. Time to spruce up the carpet.

steam cleaning, shampooing, dry cleaning, foam cleaning

• Wow
Reactions: samuelgawith01

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
We bought a shampooer a while back and have liked it. Had one of the most honest carpet cleaning company owners I can imagine come over after a puppy we had peed everywhere in about a week period. We worked on it and couldn’t get the spots to keep coming back.

He told us that he’s pretty much made his career on homeowners buying carpet shampooers because they always use too much soap and that causes everything to keep coming back up. He said the companies that sell the shampooers and the soap recommend too much soap, as well, so you run out of it faster, therefore buying more.

I say he was honest because he told me he’d fix it for me that day, or he recommended I try running the shampooer a few times over the next week without any soap, hot water only, just to get the rest of the soap back out of the carpet. I couldn’t believe how well it worked.

He didn’t charge me a nickel for coming out, gave me that bit of knowledge even though it meant him not getting paid, and called me two weeks later to follow up.

Once we learned that, our shampooer has been a lot better to use. We mix half of the detergent it calls for and only use the detergent on every other use. We don’t have a puppy problem anymore, but with the salt/mud/dirt up here, the carpets can get a little unsightly every few months. A quick touch up is all they need, now.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
We bought a shampooer a while back and have liked it. Had one of the most honest carpet cleaning company owners I can imagine come over after a puppy we had peed everywhere in about a week period. We worked on it and couldn’t get the spots to keep coming back.

He told us that he’s pretty much made his career on homeowners buying carpet shampooers because they always use too much soap and that causes everything to keep coming back up. He said the companies that sell the shampooers and the soap recommend too much soap, as well, so you run out of it faster, therefore buying more.

I say he was honest because he told me he’d fix it for me that day, or he recommended I try running the shampooer a few times over the next week without any soap, hot water only, just to get the rest of the soap back out of the carpet. I couldn’t believe how well it worked.

He didn’t charge me a nickel for coming out, gave me that bit of knowledge even though it meant him not getting paid, and called me two weeks later to follow up.

Once we learned that, our shampooer has been a lot better to use. We mix half of the detergent it calls for and only use the detergent on every other use. We don’t have a puppy problem anymore, but with the salt/mud/dirt up here, the carpets can get a little unsightly every few months. A quick touch up is all they need, now.
Yes, this is the heart of the matter. I cleaned oriental rugs and carpets for about 10 years many years ago. The basic principle of washing your clothes applies to carpet too. Loosen the dirt and oil etc. with a mild detergent, and then rinse thoroughly. Whatever you put in the carpet to clean it should be removed or the residue will attract more dirt that won't come out with vacuuming. We would use a rotary scrubber with a brush and detergent dispenser to loosen the soil, then steam clean with plain water. Spotting tough spots was done as we steam rinsed. Pretreating spots had to be done quite often too. Proper professional carpet cleaning can be quite involved and labor intensive. I won't even get into oriental rug washing, as it is way more involved than carpet.
But it sounds like you got some solid advice from an honest person to put you on the right track.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thinking of hiring a service but wondering which method might the better option for me. What's your experience with carpet cleaning methods and companies and cost versus quality? Our carpet is tan and our kids are finally old enough to not cause daily stains. Time to spruce up the carpet.

steam cleaning, shampooing, dry cleaning, foam cleaning
have to see the carpet and it's wear and tear. And also the first rule of carpets is you can't really truly clean them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
You got cats, dawgs or some such and deep pile you want a steam cleaning in my opinion. Short nap? You could rent a shampoo machine at the local Ace star and probably be good. Either way demands a thorough vacuuming.

Ampalirani

Lurker
Jul 7, 2021
The most important thing you should know about carpets is that you should clean them often. It is very difficult to do it yourself, but if you know a few life hacks, everything becomes easier.

Reactions: anotherbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, this is the heart of the matter. I cleaned oriental rugs and carpets for about 10 years many years ago. The basic principle of washing your clothes applies to carpet too. Loosen the dirt and oil etc. with a mild detergent, and then rinse thoroughly. Whatever you put in the carpet to clean it should be removed or the residue will attract more dirt that won't come out with vacuuming. We would use a rotary scrubber with a brush and detergent dispenser to loosen the soil, then steam clean with plain water. Spotting tough spots was done as we steam rinsed. Pretreating spots had to be done quite often too. Proper professional carpet cleaning can be quite involved and labor intensive. I won't even get into oriental rug washing, as it is way more involved than carpet.
But it sounds like you got some solid advice from an honest person to put you on the right track.

Aha! An expert! I have nothing but tribal and formal oriental rugs, and love them. Can one wash and block a small carpet at home? I might give it a try if you think it's possible.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Resurrected thread… Our previous houses had hardwood and tile. We built a house recently and my wife insisted on carpeting the bedrooms. Big mistake, especially with pets. Nonetheless, we purchased an Hoover SmartWash Pet Complete Carpet Cleaner. It works OK, but I still regret the carpet, which I plan to replace w/hardwood in the near future.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Aha! An expert! I have nothing but tribal and formal oriental rugs, and love them. Can one wash and block a small carpet at home? I might give it a try if you think it's possible.
All handmade rugs present different challenges to cleaning. However, as I said the process of cleaning them is somewhat like doing your laundry. If your tribal rugs have natural dyes like Navaho's you have to be careful or the dyes will bleed outside of the design, especially if you use any kind of alkaline cleaning agent. (most soaps are alkaline) If the rug is a more modern type you could try washing it with a mild soap like Woolite, and rinse with plain water. It doesn't hurt to add a little white vinegar to the rinse either as the acid will stabilize the dyes. (little being the key word) Doing this outside on a clean surface is best and you can use your garden hose and a watering can. You can use a wet vac to suck as much water out of them as possible. The rug can then be dried upside down on the clean surface so any residue will wick up to the back. If you have a white fringe on the rug you can minimize browning by covering the fringe with clean light colored towels. The thicker the rug the longer it'll take to dry. Sounds like fun, no? FYI, if your rugs have any silk in them or are antiques or valuable, you should probably seek a professional that specializes in them and not a carpet cleaner that says they can do it.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana

+1

I cleaned carpet for about 5 years back in college with a company called ChemDry. Pretty good operation in my opinion.

The biggest thing that causes issues is soapy residue. If you have a machine to clean your carpets use little or no soap. It will get amost anything up.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All handmade rugs present different challenges to cleaning. However, as I said the process of cleaning them is somewhat like doing your laundry. If your tribal rugs have natural dyes like Navaho's you have to be careful or the dyes will bleed outside of the design, especially if you use any kind of alkaline cleaning agent. (most soaps are alkaline) If the rug is a more modern type you could try washing it with a mild soap like Woolite, and rinse with plain water. It doesn't hurt to add a little white vinegar to the rinse either as the acid will stabilize the dyes. (little being the key word) Doing this outside on a clean surface is best and you can use your garden hose and a watering can. You can use a wet vac to suck as much water out of them as possible. The rug can then be dried upside down on the clean surface so any residue will wick up to the back. If you have a white fringe on the rug you can minimize browning by covering the fringe with clean light colored towels. The thicker the rug the longer it'll take to dry. Sounds like fun, no? FYI, if your rugs have any silk in them or are antiques or valuable, you should probably seek a professional that specializes in them and not a carpet cleaner that says they can do it.
Thanks very much! Now you've confirmed my guess that I should not attempt same under any circumstance.
(BTW, by tribal I meant country rugs vs. city, with specific design attributes, from the Middle-East). I'd love to have a real Navajo rug but I have too many Persians, having recently down-sized.

Reactions: agnosticpipe

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@anotherbob I think you can. The Japanese models are getting a bit thin on the ground these days and the Vietnamese supply sort of dried up in the late 70s. These days its either the Chinese import variety or something from Russia. The later are pretty good deals since not only do they clean carpets but I hear they can break up concrete and chop down trees. The draw back is the food APP. The 2.0 model only does stews and stuff with root vegetables. The newer upgrade with AI is supposedly better but not available yet! rotf

Reactions: FurCoat

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
@anotherbob I think you can. The Japanese models are getting a bit thin on the ground these days and the Vietnamese supply sort of dried up in the late 70s. These days its either the Chinese import variety or something from Russia. The later are pretty good deals since not only do they clean carpets but I hear they can break up concrete and chop down trees. The draw back is the food APP. The 2.0 model only does stews and stuff with root vegetables. The newer upgrade with AI is supposedly better but not available yet! rotf
I worked with one from Russia really nice lady and super educated but was washing dishes for a living. Seriously tough cookie by the way.

Reactions: FurCoat

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
We use Service Master. We have dogs and do it every other year. I have it done it the winter as it dries faster with the furnace running.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
I found the best way is to rip it all up and through it away, then install hardwood or laminate. Carpet is filthy, there is a bit of good literature out there on the health benefits of getting rid of carpet.