PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
When I was a kid we used to send my Irish grandfather Edgeworth RR because he said he liked Edgeworth, but I suspect he meant Sliced. I smoked a lot of Sliced years ago and I quite liked it, although in those days I inhaled heartily. The RR never seemed even remotely similar to the Sliced in my opinion. Today I ordered the Sutliff Match to revisit it and to see what I think. Anyone else have opinions on the two versions?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I was a kid we used to send my Irish grandfather Edgeworth RR because he said he liked Edgeworth, but I suspect he meant Sliced. I smoked a lot of Sliced years ago and I quite liked it, although in those days I inhaled heartily. The RR never seemed even remotely similar to the Sliced in my opinion. Today I ordered the Sutliff Match to revisit it and to see what I think. Anyone else have opinions on the two versions?
I like the flavor and cut of Sutliff better.

Reactions: aquadoc and edger

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I've read and heard that Wessex Burley Slice is as close to Edgeworth Sliced. I have never had the pleasure of trying the original Edgeworth RR or Sliced versions, but for my money, Wessex makes a damn fine burley flake.

I also ordered the Sutliff Match to compare, as I'm a big fan of LLRR.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've read and heard that Wessex Burley Slice is as close to Edgeworth Sliced. I have never had the pleasure of trying the original Edgeworth RR or Sliced versions, but for my money, Wessex makes a damn fine burley flake.

I also ordered the Sutliff Match to compare, as I'm a big fan of LLRR.
The Wessex Burley Slice is an attempt to match the Edgeworth Slices, but it doesn't have at least one of the burleys in ES, and the molasses topping is not nearly as deep. I gave it three stars at TR.

The Sutliff Match is the closest thing to the Slices made today. However, it's not as rich in its molasses/cocoa flavor, and the burleys are not quite as potent. It was designed to match the ready rubbed, and in that, its pretty durn close. Closer than LLRR, which is a good, solid blend, but has more cocoa than the original, the match and and the Slices. I gave the Sutliff Match four stars. LLRR got three and a half.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
The Wessex Burley Slice is an attempt to match the Edgeworth Slices, but it doesn't have at least one of the burleys in ES, and the molasses topping is not nearly as deep. I gave it three stars at TR.

The Sutliff Match is the closest thing to the Slices made today. However, it's not as rich in its molasses/cocoa flavor, and the burleys are not quite as potent. It was designed to match the ready rubbed, and in that, its pretty durn close. Closer than LLRR, which is a good, solid blend, but has more cocoa than the original, the match and and the Slices. I gave the Sutliff Match four stars. LLRR got three and a half.
The Wessex isn't a fountain of flavor, but it's good at what it does in my opinion. The topping is definitely subdued and let's the burley do its thing, which is why I like it so much I think.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Wessex isn't a fountain of flavor, but it's good at what it does in my opinion. The topping is definitely subdued and let's the burley do its thing, which is why I like it so much I think.
Glad it works for you. That's the only thing that matters to a smoker. I don't dislike it, or I wouldn't have given it three stars. I was only comparing to help out the OP. I have three tins of it here, though it's been about a year since I smoked it.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Glad it works for you. That's the only thing that matters to a smoker. I don't dislike it, or I wouldn't have given it three stars. I was only comparing to help out the OP. I have three tins of it here, though it's been about a year since I smoked it.
Yes sir, I imagine it's hard to live up to a beloved blend. That's one of the blessings of being a newer pipe smoker, I don't know what I've already missed and can enjoy the blends of today for what they offer in their own right.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
So my Sutliff ERR match came in yesterday and although I only smoked 3 bowls, I think so far I prefer the Lane Ready Rubbed. The Sutliff has more cocoa and the flavoring comes through more in the smoke, but I think the Lane has more tobacco taste and burns better than the Sutliff does. I don't have to try as hard to get the toasty burley notes from Lane.

I will try drying the Sutliff a bit more, and then I will try a few bowls with a 50/50 mix of both. Hopefully they will compliment each other.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
After about 3:weeks smoking the Sutliff RR in a dedicated pipe, I find this blend to be delicious and very similar to the sliced. I’ve been a Virginia devotee for a few decades after Sliced went away, but this nutty cocoa flavored burley is excellent. Great with coffee and priced right. Get some!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
After about 3:weeks smoking the Sutliff RR in a dedicated pipe, I find this blend to be delicious and very similar to the sliced. I’ve been a Virginia devotee for a few decades after Sliced went away, but this nutty cocoa flavored burley is excellent. Great with coffee and priced right. Get some!
I actually have four ounces coming my way, even as we speak. I didn't smoke the Edgeworth Ready Rub very often but, I did open a number of tins of the Slices over the early years of my pipe smoking. I look forward to trying the Sutliff Match. I also ordered four ounces of the Balkan Sobranie Original as well as Holiday and the John Rolfe match. So, here's hoping.

Mike S.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I actually have four ounces coming my way, even as we speak. I didn't smoke the Edgeworth Ready Rub very often but, I did open a number of tins of the Slices over the early years of my pipe smoking. I look forward to trying the Sutliff Match. I also ordered four ounces of the Balkan Sobranie Original as well as Holiday and the John Rolfe match. So, here's hoping.

Mike S.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I smoked a great deal of Sliced years ago but I never found the RR to be anything but bland and boring. This Sutliff is quite impressive.

Reactions: dcon and Jacob74

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Edgeworth Sliced was one of those products that convinced me I was the angel of death. 100+ years of manufacturing; I "discover" it and BOOM - gone! I have two tins left in the cellar.
Give the Sutliff a try. It has a little more cocoa and is slightly sweeter but scratches the itch. I have lots of tins of the original Sliced, but alas, they now contain my wife's collection of pins and clips,etc! You might be the angel of DEARTH, but not death.

• Haha
Reactions: dcon and Elric
Status
Not open for further replies.