PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

obelus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Might be bucking a trend here a bit, but if it were me I'd scrape together the necessities for an entry level Peterson in addition to a few estates from a known and reputable restorer (nod to strongirish). Smokingpipes.com has a Peterson: Kapet (X105) Fishtail for about $55. They've also got a number of Savinelli's for around fifty bucks. You know these are going to be good pipes, look beautiful, and you get to break your pipe in to suit yourself. Especially when money's tight I prefer to save for one good pretty sure thing.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
I like that approach alot Obelus, I've been eyeing the Petersons, and would hope to get a couple good refurbed estates. On a whim I also have a bid on and Stanwell on eBay (that might have been a bit impulsive...)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you prefer new pipes, check PipesAndCigars.com's bargain pipes. They are mostly out of stock right now, but bookmark this page and check back frequently.
I also think Maxpeters and Obelus offer excellent suggestions.
I don't know anything about Strongirish's refurbs, but if his pipes are as good as his tobacco reviews I think both would be worth paying attention to.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
If you're looking for new pipes in the $75 to $125 range, its hard to go wrong with Peterson, Savinelli and Stanwell. I've never owned a Boswell but many say they are unbeatable for the money.

dubinthedam

Lurker
May 18, 2009
Amsterdam
My top tip are Neerup, top danish handmades for $80. Good drilling, good briar, you can't go wrong with em. He also does super high grades.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
I think the better way to get economical pipes is to take a look at smoked ones in estate sales or auctions.Dont' know how much economical whould be a pipe for you but guess an Astley (made from dunhill) at 70-80 dllars it's surely economical at all.What make a good pipe? The briar nicely cured and the drills that must be near the perfection (not so difficult) So at finally the briar right boiled and correctly aged make the difference.Difference that you can find in estates and in the small pipemaker production.I live in a country were the briar is one of best all around the world(if not the best) and it's easy to find good pipes ad reasoble priced

Status
Not open for further replies.