PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting. What exactly is ebony? A kind of wood, or some kind of mineral? I admit, I haven't heard of ebony as a pipe material, and I can Google it, but I'm not sure the dictionary definition applies in a pipe context. Who sells these pipes in the U.S., or otherwise?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Interesting. What exactly is ebony? A kind of wood, or some kind of mineral? I admit, I haven't heard of ebony as a pipe material, and I can Google it, but I'm not sure the dictionary definition applies in a pipe context. Who sells these pipes in the U.S., or otherwise?
Ebony is a wood. I've not seen pipes made from it, but on my classical guitars it's used as the fingerboard material. It's pretty dense, from my understanding

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
The Chinese sell pipes made of ebony.
Is it any good as pipe smoking material?

I have one (used to be two until I broke the tenon on the other one) I use it mostly as my breakfast/first coffee pipe in the morning
It is pretty heavy, definitely a hardwood and very 'solid' (compared to my briar pipes) which fits with the claim that it is ebony wood. has a 9mm filter system
Not my favourite but one I reach for regularly because it smokes very easily

Stock image:
H0aee2f435c934e1a940f5770c51fc959A.jpg

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have one (used to be two until I broke the tenon on the other one) I use it mostly as my breakfast/first coffee pipe in the morning
It is pretty heavy, definitely a hardwood and very 'solid' (compared to my briar pipes) which fits with the claim that it is ebony wood. has a 9mm filter system
Not my favourite but one I reach for regularly because it smokes very easily

Stock image:
View attachment 162381

What kind of material is the stem made from, you reckon?

I'll admit I've been tempted to order one of these Chinese pipes.

Reactions: anotherbob

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I thought Ebony wood was like rosewood and illegal to import into the U.S.
Some species of ebony have been placed on the protected species list because it has been over harvested.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
What kind of material is the stem made from, you reckon?

I'll admit I've been tempted to order one of these Chinese pipes.

Its a type of plastic, sorry, cant narrow it anymore than that but pretty similar to other plastic stemmed briar pipes I have.
Despite pipe tobacco not being sold here there is a small shop that has these cheap pipes so I usually see what's in the window when I pass & picked up a couple over the years, well worth the low cost

forgot to say earlier, due to the weight I'd say its not ideally suited for the clenchers

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Ebony is a fantastic wood. It is denser than red oak so it holds a char better than oak and doesn't get too hot. I have one ebony pipe and it is very nice to use and was very cheap-ish ($30 for a kit that included a pipe tool and cheap stand).

Yea those kits have 30 dollars worth of odds and ins included.

Reactions: El Capitán

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
It only took about 2 minutes to find the following on the net....

Ebony. Not only are various types of ebony known to be endangered, but this type of wood is also on the toxic/strong irritant list. Consistently, it is a moderate irritant that is known to cause pink eye when exposed to its dust.

Some species of ebony are specifically reported to cause skin irritation. Such as Macassar Ebony(Diospyros celebica) and Brown Ebony, Guayacan (Libidibia paraguariensis). Some species may be responsible for eye, skin, and respiratory irritation.

With that in mind why would anyone want to smoke a pipe made of ebony when we have the wonderful briar? puffy