Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your very kind comments. I definitely got lucky with this one.
No way! I have an opportunity to purchase the exact same style Barling, shape, windcap and all. I was told the silver stamp dates it to the 1800s. Seeing yours is really making me consider committing to the purchase! Well done and congratulations!
This particular design was called "The Motor" and the design was registered in 1906, so 1800's isn't a possibility.
Quoting the Pre WW1 era Barling catalog that I own, "We make Silver Cover Pipes, suitable for Yachting, Shooting, and Motoring, in all our leading shapes."
The Motor was made in two types, a fixed position, like this one, and another where the dome could be rotated to allow for changes in wind direction.
Definitely a necessity for the English Lord wandering his vast estate, shooting grouse and the occasional poacher.
They are gorgeous to look at, but painful to keep clean. I have one other from 1909 that I bought years ago that I've smoked a few times and the heat discolors the silver in no time flat. I can't just have it taken to the servants hall for a cleaning because I don't have a servants' hall. And if you happen to smoke one with the screen closed, it can make for a hot smoke. So this is more of a collectible than a practical pipe. I don't plan to smoke it now that it's been brought back to a near mint condition.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It's always great to see exactly the right guy get exactly the right pipe. Congratulations!
Jesse, I know you've seen this already but I think it might interest the others. Here's the original elevation and plan schematic Barling submitted with the registration of its windcap design. The registration (design #458002, as you can see both on the schematic and on Jesse's pipe) was granted the week of June 1-7, 1905.
barling-windcap-design-registration-clipped-version-430x600.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That is such a great find and a very interesting specimen with that amazing looking dome. Congrats!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
What a beautiful pipe! Interesting to read that they are tough to keep clean. As an outdoor smoker a pipe with a built on cap would seem to be a good choice for me (as opposed to the snap on caps). Perhaps I'm wrong about this. Regardless this is an exceptional pipe and wonderful bit of history.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Dear Sablebrush could I ask how much you paid for it? And was it on American EBay

It is lovely and you cleaned it up beautifully

Kind regards

George

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Yep, that pipe made it to the right guy! Terrific cleanup job. Just beautiful ... :clap:

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Great Ebay sleuthing btw.
Congrats to you on winning the auction and what a lovely surprise to see it come up to such a wonderful condtion after a brief clean!

Status
Not open for further replies.