Easy to Find Esoterica During this last Drop?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Lifer
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I was actually in Margate, England two weeks ago. It looks like a town where everyone has given up. Very sad. I think they pick all the homeless up off the streets of London and give them a ticket to Margate!
I'm sorry to say that this is the fate of many South coast resorts of yore. Hastings has had particular notoriety for some years, but many others are catching up - not only such places as Folkestone and Margate, but former "quality" South-West towns like Torquay and Teignmouth. It is very sad to see.

• Wow
Reactions: suamrai61 and mingc

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
For years, The Briary had And So To Bed in stock, on the very top shelf in bags. I haven't been in there in a tad over a year now. So, i can't say whether it is still there, but I know that you have to actually go in to get their Esotericas. They do not mail it or do online sales for Esotericas as a favor to their in person customers.

Actually, my very last time in there, a member here had asked me to go buy some for them and mail it to them. Skip wasn't very happy about gaming his system.
When did Skip’s policy change? I bought Esoterica blends from The Briary over the phone several times. They were happy to sell me whatever I wanted.

When did Skip’s policy change? I bought Esoterica blends from The Briary over the phone several times. They were happy to sell me whatever I wanted.
I am not a spokesman for The Briary, nor do I work there. I just have had several instances where members here have contacted me to ask me to go buy and ship some Esotericas to them. I do not mind doing this at all, as long as I am in town at that time.

On his emails (that he no longer sends to customers), he stated that Esotericas were meant for in store customers only. However, I would not be surprised at all if they had a policy that was inconsistently followed.
For about a year, I have not been there. So, take that with a grain of salt.

I bet pretty much every B&M that deals in Esoterica blends is tired of assholes calling them about the stuff. If i were a shop owner, I might not even list it on the website.
Smart B&Ms would do the same as a benefit to their in-person customers. Getting people willing to come into the store is worth way more than someone who just happen to find that you had such and such a tad cheaper or you were the only venue in stock at the time. Plus, online loyalty only lasts as long as you are the cheapest, or at least until the one tin gets dented in transit.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Actually, the drop is still going on.
That's what I hear as well - yesterday I got a call out of the blue from a B&M in a midwestern city and was offered a few bags. Another B&M called and offered me some Penzance they just got in. Of course I said...yes. I am done buying for this season. I find the few blends of theirs that I smoke to be pleasant. I can't imagine selling them. As someone who enjoys aromatics, I find they their blends make a nice change up from non aromatics. True, there are other great blends available and yes, I keep some of them in rotation as well. The majority of my tobacco blends are for the most part, my own blends.

As a side note, I know you worked in the movie industry for many many years. When I was in college, my goal was to work as a film editor or perhaps even a director. My friends and I may made many a home movie and loved telling stories on celluloid. But, I lived in Saint Louis, MO and it never occurred to me or any one of them of moving to Hollywood and getting involved in the film industry. Now, I am retired from a long career as an educator, but if I were a young man, hopefully, someone would slap me silly and simply say, "Hey, St. Louis has no film industry...why don't you just go out to Hollywood where one actually exists.?" Such a simple thought. It never occurred to me back then. But then, I was and still may be, an idiot, LOL. I am glad you were able to follow your dream. Story telling and the arts are like pipe smoking - especially if you like to create smoke rings for the amusement of others.

• Love
Reactions: sablebrush52

telescopes

I bet pretty much every B&M that deals in Esoterica blends is tired of assholes calling them about the stuff. If i were a shop owner, I might not even list it on the website.
They don't list them as anything other than sold out. The B&Ms that assist me are ones that I have visited before or have accounts with all ready. Also, it pays to engage in small talk when you are calling them in between shipments such as Esoterica blends. The art of small talk is something that seems to not be valued as it should.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You summed it up perfectly. That’s exactly what one of my suppliers expressed to me. All of them asked me not to reveal their names for that reason.
I became a regular customer, ordering different blends they had in stock, pipe cleaners, and I spent time schmoozing with them on the phone. I supported them and they supported me. I even sent gifts of appreciation, like a half pound of HU Director’s Cut, or a tin of Syrian Latakia. Amazing what those little kindnesses can do.

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
For years, The Briary had And So To Bed in stock, on the very top shelf in bags. I haven't been in there in a tad over a year now. So, i can't say whether it is still there, but I know that you have to actually go in to get their Esotericas. They do not mail it or do online sales for Esotericas as a favor to their in person customers.

Actually, my very last time in there, a member here had asked me to go buy some for them and mail it to them. Skip wasn't very happy about gaming his system.

We aint gotta tell Skip.

What Skip don't know won't hurt him.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
No B&M out here on Gilligan’s Island…

IMG_2321.jpeg

The first two places I went, I was able to get a score, one online, one I called. I took what I could find and it’s certainly good, but I definitely wished I could have found some different blends I hadn’t tried before, but I’m certainly not complaining.

Last edited:

telescopes

For some it may be a chase or FOMO, but I like the four blends I keep on hand - and as someone who like a bit of aromatic tobacco even in a more standard blend, I find these very much to my taste. Sutliff aromatics have never done it for me - they always seem to have too much Cavendish and taste a bit ashy. However, I refuse to overpay for any tobacco or purchase it even if a few dollars over so someone can flip at my expense. After coming to California, I've had to make new contacts with B&Ms and find places to brows and shop for supplies - I prefer in person. I think many people are the same. But sadly, what was once a common shop is now a rarity, and I am always appreciative of being able to get what I want when I need it. If someone has a better solution to purchasing something one really enjoys - I am open to suggestions. Otherwise, contempt is a plate one can share with themselves.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I may be in that place now. I'll probably only replace what I have smoke the previous two years and leave it at that.
After sampling a bunch of the blends and eventually getting some for myself I just think a lot of them arent worth the chase anymore. From an aesthetic/craftsmanship point of view (although some say quality has dropped since ~2020) I love the way their tobacco looks. I love how delicate and thin the Stonehaven flakes are I love the chunky dark flakes of Penzance and the stringy thin cut of Margate. This is like the second drop in 3 years I've seen my B&M get some and this time around I just shrugged my shoulders, bought when I went in there for and left.

Reactions: telescopes

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
With the state tax being so high on pipe tobaccos, there are very few pipe shops left here in FL.
Interesting enough, there is no state tax on cigars. One of only 5 states/districts in the country to boast that.

SoupCan

Lurker
Sep 15, 2024
Kansas City, MO
Being a fairly novice pipe smoker I was unaware of Esoterica or its status as rare or limited. I went into a local shop today and was browsing their selection of pipes after settling on one to buy the salesman showed me their selection of Esoterica tins and gave me a little bit of a rundown on the brand.

I decided to get a tin of Margate. I will say that it was an excellent smoke and maybe the best English I’ve sampled but the breadth of what I’ve tried is very limited. I’m not sure I quite understood the hype so to speak. Maybe I’ll go back next week and try one of the Virginia or VaPer tins they had if they are still there.