PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I am looking for ideas for an easy clencher or even something that I can keep in my mouth throughout the day without having to clench and it won't fall out. I work with my hands at a keyboard and would love to be able to easily have a pipe in my mouth through the day (smoking and not smoking as I work).

A certain shape and/or weight and/or lip type etc...

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I am looking for ideas for an easy clencher or even something that I can keep in my mouth throughout the day without having to clench and it won't fall out. I work with my hands at a keyboard and would love to be able to easily have a pipe in my mouth through the day (smoking and not smoking as I work).

A certain shape and/or weight and/or lip type etc...
If chamber size is not an issue I’d say find the lightest pipe that would feel good clenching. Maybe something under 30g. I always thought bents were better clinchers but with pipes that light, a straight is not much different.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'd say personally the bit is the most important thing to consider. Heavier pipes with a solid surface to hold clench easier in my opinion then a lighter pipe with a tiny button. That's my experience. I'd say that most pipes are easy to clench but some require a knack. A lumberman clenches easy but you have to place it right which while easy is a learning experience.
Also going to say too light makes clenching a bit less comfortable. And makes it harder to feel if you really have a good grip or not.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can tell you I have a pipe in my mouth pretty much all my awake hours. But, having no idea about how your jaw and teeth fit I'd not dare to suggest something for you. I rest the bit between my molars. I use little to no pressure to keep the pipe in place unless I'm exerting myself with a saw, climbing a hill with tripod, lenses, cameras and such, Then I might put the pipe in a pocket or put a bit of pressure on the bit. All of my pipes are bent to some degree or another. None of the above will help you unless your mouth is somewhat similar to mine with regard to structure. I've also been smoking nearly 65 years.

You'll have to do as most of us have done, see what works.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I can tell you I have a pipe in my mouth pretty much all my awake hours. But, having no idea about how your jaw and teeth fit I'd not dare to suggest something for you.
^^^^
This

That's a very subjective subject to approach. Some find light pipes the way to go, others find the button is the answer, others swear by degrees of a bend, etc. I regularly clench straight magnum sized pipes up to 7 ounces for hours and find them very comfortable. It's all dependent on the individual.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There are several ways to go. Sitting at a keyboard, I wouldn't suggest a nose warmer due to the rising smoke. AI' half bent pipe clenches nicely, and offsets some of the heavier bowl's weight. A straight pipe allows a little more smoke clearance. Original MM Cob stems are tooth friendly but vulnerable to wear. (easily replaceable) I use them all, but always outside where the air breathes with you and dispels the smoke to share with the birds, butterflies, and bumblebees. Most of my dropped pipe events have occurred via clenching. Not that many, but one was memorable as it resulted in a shattered shank on a perfect clencher. ( I have managed to ugly glue it back together, and it still works fine. A straight Grabow Tru-Grain, with a group 3 bowl and very comfortable stem.)

Reactions: ThermionicScott

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Peterson 314 with a P-lip
Hangs more than clenches but whatever works
Works fantastic for me in a large variety of scenarios
Most versatile for my activities
I've at least 1/2 dozen out of 60? pipes

• Love
Reactions: Doctor Chopper

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I find the MM Bent Apple Diplomat works well for me. Also, with the cob, if It ever did fall it wouldn’t be the end of the world. When I’m moving around, I often just throw a wind cap on it. Nothing falls out 😊.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
The best clencher is a Falcon Dental, when I working in my workshop it is the perfect pipe, I'm a wet smoker and Falcon's are light and easy to keep clean, when I am working on Guitars it sit's perfectly between my teeth, easy to clean, I am a Peterson smoker but my Falcon's come close.