PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Lurker
Jan 29, 2020
I am new to this forum. I am fortunate to own some very early Meerschaum Pipes created by the artist Eyup Sabri and am interested in finding the best place to possibly sell some of them. I purchased them in 1981 and 1982 and have Letters of Authenticity for each of them, signed by Eyup Sabri. I believe the prizes of the collection are the one called The Nude which I believe was the very first one Mr. Sabri created under the title "The Nude" as its serial number is simply ES. The other very special one is called Adam and Eva and its serial number is 2. Serial # of the Dragons is 3, the Skull is 16, The Sultan is 982. Moonlight Serenade is 6 but it has a damaged tip. Any advise?The Nude.jpgAdam and Eva.jpgCert of Authenticity.jpg20200129_141230.jpg

Attachments

• Dragons.jpg
    Dragons.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Moom Serenade.jpg
    Moom Serenade.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Skull.jpg
    Skull.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Sultan.jpg
    Sultan.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 32

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
It depends. If you want quick cash or you don't already have an eBay account smoking pipes or pipestud will price, buy, and then sell your pipes at a markup. If you do have an eBay account with good feedback for 200+ dollar items I'd list them there.

The main problem you are going to hit is the fact you're an unknown and you are selling a very niche product. To put it in perspective one of the current top artists, who I've seen many on this forum and others argue is the best, Firik Baki currently only sells his pipes through Ali Express.

His used/new old stock pipes are selling for a $100 premium on eBay last I checked because of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhowell

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I'll politely disagree with nick2601. Eyup Sabri is a known name among collectors of Turkish meerschaum. Though Ismet Bekler was the first, Sabri was the second or third carver to sign his pipes (I don't know if Ismail "The Artist" Ozel started doing so before or after him). He was the only Turkish carver I know of to use horn stems, specifically water buffalo horn. Your "Adam & Eva," and possibly the skull, have them; the others are plastic. Some of his pipes also came with a tamper having a carved meerschaum handle.

He's right that Fikri Baki is probably the best non-figural carver working today. The late Eyup Sabri was one of the, if not THE, best now-gone Turkish figural carvers. Bekler carved incredible free-form pipes, but I think his figurals and heads weren't always top-notch. He also, later, carved a lot of relief floral work. But Sabri's floral and relief carving was spectacular. Carvers like SEvket and Tekin developed their own incredible relief carving style, but they owe some of that inspiration from Sabri.

I rarely see Sabri pipes on eBay. When I do, they usually get listed for at least $150, and may fetch $250+! If you can sell on eBay, that'd be my advice. These are really great examples of Sabri's work. At any given time, there may be ten or more Beklers listed, and there are over 18 now. There are two Sabris listed. Check eBay's closed auctions to see what his work can sell for!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Mark

Lurker
Jan 29, 2020
I'll politely disagree with nick2601. Eyup Sabri is a known name among collectors of Turkish meerschaum. Though Ismet Bekler was the first, Sabri was the second or third carver to sign his pipes (I don't know if Ismail "The Artist" Ozel started doing so before or after him). He was the only Turkish carver I know of to use horn stems, specifically water buffalo horn. Your "Adam & Eva," and possibly the skull, have them; the others are plastic. Some of his pipes also came with a tamper having a carved meerschaum handle.

He's right that Fikri Baki is probably the best non-figural carver working today. The late Eyup Sabri was one of the, if not THE, best now-gone Turkish figural carvers. Bekler carved incredible free-form pipes, but I think his figurals and heads weren't always top-notch. He also, later, carved a lot of relief floral work. But Sabri's floral and relief carving was spectacular. Carvers like SEvket and Tekin developed their own incredible relief carving style, but they owe some of that inspiration from Sabri.

I rarely see Sabri pipes on eBay. When I do, they usually get listed for at least $150, and may fetch $250+! If you can sell on eBay, that'd be my advice. These are really great examples of Sabri's work. At any given time, there may be ten or more Beklers listed, and there are over 18 now. There are two Sabris listed. Check eBay's closed auctions to see what his work can sell for!
Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the advice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's some distinguished carving. You need to reach out to the Meerschaum niche that can afford to pay for this level of work. I don't think you want to throw them into an auction with factory pipes (which I like and respect, but aren't this market). You might want to sound out some of the high-end pipes shops, like Nat Sherman in Manhattan, natsherman.com, or 1-800-mycigar. Or Iwan Ries in Chicago. They'd have a commission, but would know the appropriate customer base on these.

Mark

Lurker
Jan 29, 2020
That's some distinguished carving. You need to reach out to the Meerschaum niche that can afford to pay for this level of work. I don't think you want to throw them into an auction with factory pipes (which I like and respect, but aren't this market). You might want to sound out some of the high-end pipes shops, like Nat Sherman in Manhattan, natsherman.com, or 1-800-mycigar. Or Iwan Ries in Chicago. They'd have a commission, but would know the appropriate customer base on these.
Thank you. I will reach out as you have suggested.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
+1 for Pipestud as well. He has a large following and I think commission is 20% (correct me if I am wrong). On eBay you would already be out around 6% for listing fees and PayPal fees but selling on commission opens up the customer base and can save a lot of headaches.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've got one of the top ones. Nothing special, nice proportions though. Tiny bowl, it smokes very well but clumsy to hold. I wouldn't own it but, it was a gift from my then fiance, she knew little about pipes at the time, early 70's?, maybe. I believe she paid around $125.00 USD back then.

Collectors might have an interest. I'm a smoker, not a collector so I'd have little to no interest. I do agree though with some of the above, hire someone who knows what they are doing. with a decent reputation.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm probably wrong but it seems to me that the OP's post is disguised as asking for recommends when what he's really doing is fishing for a sale. He's got less than 5 posts and is thus ineligible to buy or sell.

Mark

Lurker
Jan 29, 2020
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up selling my entire collection to an estate de
Thank you. I will reach out as you have suggested.
Thanks Mo. I took your advise and sold my entire collection to an Estate dealer (Smokingpipes.com).

Reactions: DonutLuvr

Mark

Lurker
Jan 29, 2020
Thanks Mo. I took your advise and sold my entire collection to an Estate dealer (Smokingpipes.com).

Reactions: DonutLuvr
Status
Not open for further replies.