PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
An accomplishment you just don't see much these days!!! Congrats to who I'm sure is a fine young man!

My troop disbanded when I was in 9th grade and we moved the following summer so that was it for me for Boy Scouts --- too many other interests in HS that I know I'd have never made it, so I won't claim "if only", lol, but every so often in church a kid would come through having made Eagle Scout and I always thought it was really cool and still do!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad was an active Scout and learned a lot. I don't think he was Eagle, but he was the next level, maybe Life Scout? Among other things, it's a great culture of goal setting, organizing yourself to advance, and doing some good public service along the way.

I didn't advance in Cub Scouts, alas, though I had some good times. I did camping, boating, and outdoor things with friends and on my own, but didn't stay with Scouts.

Congratulations to your grandson. He's made a good start.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was extremely fortunate to grow up in an active Boy Scout home.

I attended summer camps, Camporees and then one National Jamboree.

I started as a cub, got all the awards and ended as an Eagle with 4 palms. Vigil in the Order of the Arrow.

I’ve been in every leadership from scribe up to Scout Master.

Anyone would be as lucky to do that.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Another lifetime ago I earned my Eagle Scout at the age of 13. It was at a time when you needed 24 merit badges, not 21, in order to qualify.

I remember it like yesterday.
I had to look, I was the same in 1977, 24.
I remember waiting for last, to earn this trio, they were the most challenging:
Citizenship in the Community
Citizenship in the Nation
Citizenship in the World

Emergency Preparedness was also a lengthy endeavor.
Back then, we had to to go the Civil Defense, to earn that merit badge. I had to google that one, Congress ended that program back in 1994. That one was a lot of fun.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A throwback to when accomplishing something REAL was the order of the day. Recognizable, demonstrable, practical stuff. (As opposed to getting a degree in Advanced Transexual Dance Therapy Interpretation Studies, or similar, where it's all about feelings...)

Be proud, Mr. tbradsim1. In this day and age, he doubtless had to deal with all manner of societal pushback after showing he was well grounded, well raised, and determined to be a Real Man.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though I didn't stay with Scouting, I did stay with my subscription to Boys Life for years, which is a magazine very Boy Scout oriented. I think that encouraged me to follow up on some of the outdoor activities.