PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottils

Lurker
Jul 15, 2018
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

As seen i in the 'Things Soldiers Want" pamphlet of 1914, Dunhill made a campaign pipe(along with the campaign plug tobacco) that could be ordered in bulk and distributed to the officers and men alike.

Anyone seen one of these? Some are bound to have survived the trenches and following century? or perhaps not?

Last edited by a moderator:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm very curious to know more about these particular pipes.

While I'm not fully "in the market" yet for a verified WWI soldier's Dunhill pipe I will say I'm getting closer and closer and closer...

Reactions: lightmybriar

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do I understand that the pipes were in lots of 100 for five pounds? One hundred pipes for five pounds? Adjusted for inflation, I wonder what that would be. I don't think Dunhill got into ratcheting up the price until the 1950's or a little later. I think Kaywoodie were the pricey pipes in the U.S., with Dunhill sitting in second place, and both affordable to a wage earner. The $900 Group 4 came later.

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
£5 in 1914 is equivalent in purchasing power to about £580.74 in 2020

~£6 per pipe is absolutely possible nowadays. Say, in Greece you can buy a smokable briar under EUR9.

bottils

Lurker
Jul 15, 2018
No one encountered one of theese thru the years? The markings clearly read Dunhill, so I suppose people would see them as something a little out of the ordinary and think twice before tossing it in the bin. I could be wrong, tho.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m guessing most of these pipes were destroyed or lost on the battlefields of Europe along with their brave owners. Even if the man survived the pipe probably didn’t since they could not have had an easy life. Considering the hardships encountered by the men back home trying to reintegrate its likely any surviving pipes continued to take a beating as the only one available to them while they got back to their lives. 100 year old pipes in general are hard to find in good condition anyway without literally having gone through war. Yeah, I’m thinking most of these pipes didn’t survive and if there were crates of them leftover after the war it wouldn’t surprise me to learn Dunhill destroyed them to protect the company name for top quality.

Reactions: vates and bottils

bottils

Lurker
Jul 15, 2018
I’m guessing most of these pipes were destroyed or lost on the battlefields of Europe along with their brave owners. Even if the man survived the pipe probably didn’t since they could not have had an easy life. Considering the hardships encountered by the men back home trying to reintegrate its likely any surviving pipes continued to take a beating as the only one available to them while they got back to their lives. 100 year old pipes in general are hard to find in good condition anyway without literally having gone through war. Yeah, I’m thinking most of these pipes didn’t survive and if there were crates of them leftover after the war it wouldn’t surprise me to learn Dunhill destroyed them to protect the company name for top quality.
The more I think about it, the more this seems likely, alas.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It could be that none of them survive or that they aren't identifiable. I'd think Dunhill would have wanted to stamp them to get credit for their war effort, but stamping might not be included at the price. So much of WWI gear was viable years later. I grew up with a canvas pup tent that was WWI surplus.

Status
Not open for further replies.