PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Approaching four pages.... And no one has made anything of the bit I posted on Barling... Jesse must have missed his cue here.....

May 4, 2015
I don't have time to read this whole thing. Can someone kindly just sum it up for me in 100 words or less? Thanks in advance. -PST :wink:

Dec 24, 2012
I don't have time to read this whole thing. Can someone kindly just sum it up for me in 100 words or less? Thanks in advance.
I haven't read it either, but I believe the gist is that Dunhill does not use, and has never used, real ivory in making the white spot, except for those sold by secondhandsmoker on ebay.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Someone should tell secondhandsmoker on ebay the dots are not Ivory. He has a thing claiming they are on most of his Dunhill auctions.
Who says pipesmagazine.com is inconsequential in world affairs? The historical trajectory of Planet Earth was nudged, however slightly. :lol:
Behold:
[from the secondhandsmoker auction site]
...with an immaculate original stem properly inset with an ivory-colored White Spot, and with clearly legible stampings. 

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And no one has made anything of the bit I posted on Barling... Jesse must have missed his cue here.....
Well, nothing to add to what you posted, really. I knew about the suit and had seen the docs. I've yet to see a white dot Barling stem. Dunhill's position regarding this was ironic, and not a little hypocritical, given that they essentially "appropriated" Vauen's stem logo.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Anyone want to address the blue Sasieni dots?
No need to test those. Everyone knows they are made from smuggled blue larimar gemstones from outlaw mines in the Dominican Republic, shaped and installed by an ancient order of pipe monks who do nothing else at a secret base under the ice in Antarctica.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is a Portuguese Diamond, rumored to be the most valuable in the world. I don't think it is a stretch to say that the Sasieni blue dots are nearly identical in color. So, who knew that the Sasieni dots are made from Portuguese diamond dust? I've looked at my dots very closely, under magnification, so I knew that I'm right. I might have also read this on Ebay (Ok,they were my sales ads). Amazing.
Portuguese-Diamond-Photo-by-Chip-Clark-feature.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would like to suggest something that may initially sound outlandish but could in fact be true.
When Dunhill were experimenting with ways to make their pipes stand out from a distance, perhaps someone suggested using a white dot embedded into the stem. The workshop likely had no white rod to hand (why would they?) so some craftsman scratched his head and came up with the idea of using ivory for said spot.
The craftsman sourced some ivory (quite plentiful back then) and managed to fashion a piece to use on a test pipe just to see how it looked. It looked great and it was decided that a white dot would be their method of marking their pipes.
The craftsman then says he had a devil of a time creating the perfectly round insert using ivory so some white rod was specially ordered to do another trial run......and the rest is history!
Farfetched? Yes, quite likely but not an impossible scenario :puffy:
Brilliant thread and thanks to George for conducting the experiment.
Regards,
Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@georged - I'm just reading the recent issue of "The Pipe Collector". Have you considered writing this up and submitting it to them? I'm certain many of their readers would love to read about your experiment and conclusions. (guessing a lot of members aren't forum folks, like Rich E., etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.