PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Okay my wiser Brothers of the Pipe, tell me if I landed an extraordinary briar or no. You can see the stamping. If I am reading it right, it is a 1979, group 6. No other numbers because...it's a quaint? I have been unable to find any other Dunhills out there close to this shape. I need you all to tell me it was an exceptional buy, brilliant investment, perfectly sensible purchase, that I am a genius. Then I shall relay that information to my wife.

P1070358.JPG

Dunhill 3.jpg

P1070354.JPG

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Dunhill revamped their operation top-to-bottom in the 70's, and part of that effort involved entering the rapidly growing freehand market.

In hindsight, it's obvious that making freehands wasn't as simple as giving a few of your shop people free rein to make whatever shape came into their heads... it resulted in some truly ghastly stuff. (they knew frazed stummels, and they knew tools, but they had never worked with line and flow)

Since the company's earliest days they made a small number of customer requests and oddities-for-the-sake-of-it called "quaints." Some were charming, others were just weird.

The OP's pipe has some of each going on. It's neither fish nor fowl. Much nicer than a "blooming flower" Dublin-with-a-stick-bit Scandinavian wannabee freehand, but not peculiar enough to count as a true quaint, either.

A straightforward pipe inspired by Danish Modern furniture, pretty much.

And that ain't bad.

The execution, unfortunately, has late-70's written all over it.

The question, "Was it a good acquisition?" is difficult to answer. It's definitely unique, the size is impressive, and the new condition speaks for itself. There aren't many collectors of English pipes who care about much except how well a particular specimen rates AS AN EXAMPLE of its named/numbered shape, though. Pipes like this one don't exist for them.

And the shape collectors who lust for the sculptural art of Ivarsson, Bang, Joura, etc. typically care little about English pipes as a categorical thing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's not an outrageous price for a boxed unused one off Dunhill. The 1970's wasn't their best period, so as an investment it's not likely to accrue much value. Collectors don't typically lust after '70's era Dunhills. The design, while interesting, isn't pleasing to me. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I hope that it smokes well for you.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Georged and sablebrush52 have spoken and that is pretty much that. The rest of us will just be sitting on the sidelines being quite. You should probably lament your choice. If you smoke the pipe be aware that its value will go down.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill/White Spots generally seem overpriced by fifty to one hundred percent to me compared to artisan and other high end factory pipes, and only a little better on the estate market in most cases. Unless chasing is buying one. I'd be intrigued -- but not intrigued enough to research it myself -- to know if people make any money reselling their Dunhills, or if it pretty much a wash, generally speaking. I suspect it's a wash. I'm sure there are some who honestly or not make some money, but I'd guess that is not the majority. All that said, that's an interesting looking pipe seemingly in great shape, so go ahead and bond with it, and maybe buy a good mutual fund for your retirement.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Ah, well, there it is. I guess that I 1) keep contributing to my 401K, 2) assume my child will not go to college, 3) stay away from exotic pipes and 4) buy my wife something lovely and intensely distracting.

Nah, I do like the pipe and am pleased to have purchased it (although not for the price the seller was originally asking) but I did think I had found something rare and spectacular. I do find the shape quite stunning, that long, low arch, but, wow, no way I could smoke it. I don't think I could ever smoke a pipe that expensive. So I'll hold on to it and tell the grandkids a funny story someday...when they ask, "why don't we have an inheritance, grandfather?"

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Ah, well, there it is. I guess that I 1) keep contributing to my 401K, 2) assume my child will not go to college, 3) stay away from exotic pipes and 4) buy my wife something lovely and intensely distracting.

Nah, I do like the pipe and am pleased to have purchased it (although not for the price the seller was originally asking) but I did think I had found something rare and spectacular. I do find the shape quite stunning, that long, low arch, but, wow, no way I could smoke it. I don't think I could ever smoke a pipe that expensive. So I'll hold on to it and tell the grandkids a funny story someday...when they ask, "why don't we have an inheritance, grandfather?"
I would smoke and enjoy it!!! It's just a pipe and if you paid less than the list it's only a bonus.
Just giving you a good ribbing and if I can't do it over a $700 pipe than what can I do?

To me it's just another example of ridiculous Dunhill fervor and price inflation.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
Oh, no, you are dead on regarding prices and inflation and ridiculous Dunhill fervor. The madness of the collectible mindset. I deserve any ribbing I get. And, well, not sure it matters (as it is still more than twice what I have ever paid for a pipe) but negotiated with the kind seller for $550.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
nice. It certainly doesn't look like much I've seen. That's the beach with rare things you're options are to pay what is asked or not pay at all. No I'll find another one some day that's more comfortable on the bank. So you have to ask which will you regret more the money going bye bye or not having that pipe. I spend over a thousand on one pipe because I knew I'd regret not having it years down the road. So 600 almost 700 ain't that bad really.
p.s. I've never really liked Dunhill pipes that much. They rarely catch my eye and even when they do I am always like nope I could get a pipe I like much more at that price. But that's taste it's frankly nonsensical and we like what we like.

Reactions: BROBS

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If you look around, deals can be had. This Dunhill HT XL Collector Shell Briar is much larger than a group 6 and was $150.

The key being "if you look around."

If doing that is enjoyable in itself in a "part of the hobby" sort of way, as a standalone activity, the savings are legit.

If learning the ins-and-outs of the deal-hunter techniques, and then actually implementing and doing them (including the ongoing monitoring) is not enjoyable, though, OR there is something you could be doing with that time that earns you money, the apparent savings is a mirage.

Accountants call it "opportunity cost."

Example --- I spent a day going to antique stores and scored a killer deal! Paid $10 for a pipe that's worth $400!

Except... you could have painted the car someone dropped off at your bodyshop in the same ten hours, and earned $600.

In short, there are some killer sharks that cruise the PipeWorld, and from time to time score amazing deals. Don't think for a minute it's as easy as they make it look, though, or that "the thrill of the hunt" isn't part of WHY they do it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
The key being "if you look around."

If doing that is enjoyable in itself in a "part of the hobby" sort of way, as a standalone activity, the savings are legit.

If learning the ins-and-outs of the deal-hunter techniques, and then actually implementing and doing them (including the ongoing monitoring) is not enjoyable, though, OR there is something you could be doing with that time that earns you money, the apparent savings is a mirage.

Accountants call it "opportunity cost."

Example --- I spent a day going to antique stores and scored a killer deal! Paid $10 for a pipe that's worth $400!

Except... you could have painted the car someone dropped off at your bodyshop in the same ten hours, and earned $600.

In short, there are some killer sharks that cruise the PipeWorld, and from time to time score amazing deals. Don't think for a minute it's as easy as they make it look, though, or that "the thrill of the hunt" isn't part of WHY they do it.
The thrill of the hunt is EXACTLY WHY I do it. ?
it's a great high scoring a pipe for 1/4-1/3 the going price.