PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
My apologies if this is in the wrong section to post this request, but I could not find a more appropriate section to make this post. If I have broken any rules, feel free to modify, move or delete as required.
I have been smoking a pipe for about 8 months now and I quite enjoy the experience overall. During this time I have read various forums and websites, reviews on assorted pipes and tobacco products. One name that keeps coming up during my pipe education is "Dunhill", both for pipes and tobacco. I understand the history and quality of the pipes they produce and the pricing they command. Hopefully one day I will be able to purchase a really nice Dunhill pipe and finally, really understand why they are so desired.
The other Dunhill product that has my attention is their tinned tobacco that is currently available for purchase. Not sure how many are aware, but this line of tobacco, and I am sure there are others, is not currently available in Canada. My understanding is that due to our government labeling laws that are unique to this country, Dunhill has decided not to sell their product in Canada. I may be wrong with this thinking, but that is my understanding at this time.
I have been wanting to purchase a couple of tins of Dunhill Early Morning Pipe as well as Dunhill Nightcap after reading about them. Not being available in Canada puts a major crimp in my tobacco purchasing plans for this product. I understand that there are a number of people that do not like or do not prefer this tobacco, but I feel that it would be one that I would like for some time. Seems like a realistic alternative is to make a trip to the US and purchase some, bring it back to Canada. Well I happen to be taking the wife on a small road trip this weekend that will include a stop in the state of Montana, specifically the resort town of Whitefish for a night. What I am looking for is a Dunhill dealer in the Whitefish or Kalispell area that I cam use to purchase said tobacco. I have done some searching on the interwebs, but have not been able to come up with a dealer list for US or any state at all. I have also been calling up some of the tobacconists there looking for a dealer and might have someone that can help me, but I won't know until Friday afternoon and I leave Saturday morning. So if anyone as a lead for a Dunhill dealer in the Whitefish/Kalispell, Montana area, I would appreciate if they might share that information with me. If I do find a place in Montana that I can purchase some Dunhill tobacco, I will certainly post it so that others are able to use that information as a resource. Thank you in advance for any information that is provided.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I have seen Dunhill tobaccos in Canada, I think they had a few tins for sale in a shop in Saskatoon. It's all old stock however. Your best bet is 4noggins.com, great company for Canadians.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
I hope someone can answer your question I can't because I am not familiar with Montana at all. I do know you can google b&m in Montana and find the location of stores, as well as phone numbers to call and ask what they have in stock. A lot of legwork I know but it might be your best bet. Also I have never been to Canada but I believe there is a limit on the amount of tobacco you can bring back tax free. Might want to ask about that before your crossing.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I did a fair amount of legwork to try to find a dealer in the area that I was going to in Montana. Found lots of "head shops", and managed to find 3 pipe & tobacco stores, 2 in Kalispell and 1 in Whitefish. The stores kept saying that the get a lot of inquiries.......from Canadadians, but have not brought any in yet. I told them of our issue with getting Dunhill here and that they should stock at least some. Two of the stores said that if I gave them a weeks notice that they could bring it in for me for when I go back down there.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah, I will be doing exactly that next week as I am gone camping right away for 5 days. I do have a B&M in the area that I am supporting, but they don't carry Dunhill, so I will be ordering some online. As far as costs, it is crazy expensive here, a tin of good quality pipe tobacco costs about $50.00, compared to what, about $12.00. Unreal!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if I lived on your route.. (seems like a nice road trip) I would be glad to let you order online and have it shipped to me to hold for you.
post a link to your mapquest route someone on here must live along your way.

Aug 14, 2012
I am sure there will be many who disagree, but for me, Dunhill tobacco is not worth the trouble you are going through to get it. No offence meant to Dunhill lovers. That is if it the same as it was over 50 years ago (and who is?) A friend and I used to hang out at the NYC pipeshops in the 1950s when we were teenagers. Wilke, Lane Ltd & Peterson's on 42nd street, and Dunhill. I ended up with a summer job at Peterson, which sold Peterson & other pipes, but was not affiliated with the Irish pipemaker. Dunhill had a grand store opposite St Patrick's Cathedral on 5th Avenue. You told them what you liked and they produced a "My Mixture" for you. Nothing special. The early morning pipe was a light but not excellent smoke, the Nightcap good but not outstanding. My Mixture 965, as I remember, was pretty good, but there are many similar smokes. Recently a dealer sent me a free tin of Royal Yacht. A nice taste, but it made me feel a little sick after 2/3 of a bowl. I threw it out. The pipes are excellent. Too bad what has happened to Dunhill in New York. They are now a clothing store on Madison Ave. The great cigar and pipe departments are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.