Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Reviving an old thread:

I've been buying a lot of Dunhill MM965 and checking the dates on tins, per the example above. We have 12 months year, which would give the month of December the letter "L". I've purchased a number of tins lately that have the "P" letter beside the year, if you believe the reference chart posted above. Has anyone else noticed this or can explain it? This is what I purchased today:
image hosting site no sign up

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Interesting thread! Just happened to have two Dunhill tins in my backpack and it was good to be able to date them! I never knew that it was possible with Dunhill! That's why I love forums man! Can't beat this kind of collective knowledge.

I am not sure if the Dunhill dating method is correct. All my Dunhill tins (Bought at my local B&M / smokingpipes.com has 02 as the year (And I bought all of them this month.)
Also, My Nightcap says CB022K01 - How can 0 be a date? Also, how do you represent 11th till 31st?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just opened a tin that I bought in 2013. It is stamped as made in the EU and it does not have that coding. (just a six and four digit stamp,all numbers)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Also, My Nightcap says CB022K01 - How can 0 be a date? Also, how do you represent 11th till 31st?
CB = Factory

02 = The machine it was produced on

2 = The year. In this case 2012

K = The month, which is November

0 = Day

1 = Shift
I don't know how they count their days to be honest. Don't know why there is a 0 there but you can be sure that it's from 2012. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you got a tin that old from them. It's happened to me before. Do you realize how many thousands of tins they keep on stock at SP? THOUSANDS!

rcanderson

Might Stick Around
Jul 12, 2017
Aiea, Hawaii
If that new date coding is correct, in the batch I just receive I have some that are already almost 5 years old along with some that haven't been made yet, lol.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
This doesn't work on my Royal Yacht. The #'s are different plus from the EU.

bk4wmYF.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.