PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
For a moment I thought I read "Twin Dating". Alas, it was only tin dating.
These links may be of interest to you:
From the late John C. Loring pages:
Dating English Tin Tobacco:
http://loringpage.com/PipeArticles/tobdatepaper.html
Old Dunhill Tin Tobacco:
http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/duntobac.htm
Dunhill Tobacco Blends - 1910 to 1990:
http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/duntob2chart.htm

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I do appreciate your fine effort, Kashmir, but I was hoping for something more recent, as in the last ten years or so to present.
Do they have a matrix like Escudo or the McClelland Company?
Fnord

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
The Orlik Dunhill tins have the raised lid bottom and the big round white sticker that says Made in the EU. These began appearing on all tins in 2006. The painted label tins were all used up at some point in 2008, so any paper label tins of Dunhill blends with the script Dunhill name were produced 2008 or later. Hope this helps on helping date the newer stuff.
Pipestud

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Harris and Pipestud:
This is not what I wanted to hear.
One of the premier pipe tobacco companies in the world should have an orderly system of tracking their inventory.
I'm certainly not holding either of you to blame, but I will ask you both to fall on your swords for bearing the bad news.
Fnord
P.S. Missed you in KC this year, Pipestud. You were a real mensch when we met last year and I'll never forget that.

F.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
I think I can be of assistance. Orlik made the later Dunhill tins as Pipestud says. And Orlik has a dating system.

For example I take one of my Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls tins. On the back besides the barcode you see a 10-digit code and a 4-digit code.

With my tin this is: 1108033001 3870.

- 11 = Year of packing

- 08 = Calender day of production. That means the 8th day of the month.

- 03 = Month of packing.

What the rest of the digits mean, no idea.. The 4 digit number is an internal batch number I guess. But this tin comes from March 8th 2011.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'm certainly not holding either of you to blame, but I will ask you both to fall on your swords for bearing the bad news.
Fnord
P.S. Missed you in KC this year, Pipestud. You were a real mensch when we met last year and I'll never forget that.

F.
Fnord - Per your request, I did fall forward and tried to land on my sword, but my aim was bad and I missed myself. Sorry. - And yes sir, I enjoyed meeting you at last year's KC Show and am sorry I had to miss this one. I'll be back next year and hope we connect.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Would pipestud also be your ebay handle? Just asking.
Howdy protestantpiper - Yes sir, that would be me. 11 years ago when I started selling pipes on consignment on eBay I told my wife that I was going to call myself Pipestud... She smiled and said, "That's great honey. Maybe you'll finally be a stud at something."
Pipestud

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
If that's true, I just went to my local B&M and got DF from 10/10/2010 and RY from 3/17/2011

Aug 14, 2012
Looking at the back of a tin of Elizabethan and one of Royal Yacht, they both say 61 as the first digit. They were not packed in 1961.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Foggy, you made the same mistake I did. Don't look at the numbers under the UPC. Look at the numbers to the left of the UPC

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I'm bumping this thread since I've got a question about a Dunhill tin that doesn't correspond with the answers given above.
Just bought a tin of Dunhill Elizabethan from a shop in Basel, Switzerland.
Foggy, you made the same mistake I did. Don't look at the numbers under the UPC. Look at the numbers to the left of the UPC
Problem is, there are no numbers to the left of the UPC on this tin; there are numbers to the right:
CB023L97
That's it--anyone want to venture a guess? I would love to think it was made in 2011--that's four years of cellaring!! But based on Arno's description above neither number makes any sense. And, wasn't Elizabethan reintroduced after 2011?
On the bottom it reads "Pfeifentabak Hergestellt in Daenmark" and Wellauer AG; I know Wellauer is a popular Swiss tobacco and I'm guessing this stuff was tinned in Denmark. But if it was tinned by Orlik wouldn't it read STG?
Again, any help on this would be appreciated--and very interesting to boot!! :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if tobacco companies could enhance sales by giving "vintage" dates as wine makers do. This would help people who like to age tins. Luciano and some artisan pipe makers put a full year date on their pipes, and I think this is an excellent precedent, rather than having to decode numbers or guess. It improves the lore and value of pipes at all price levels, I believe.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Agreed, Mso--it would be great if more companies were clearer about their packing dates. I bought a tin of MB Scottish Mixture two weeks ago. According to the label this tin was packed in August, 2007; so, unbeknownst to me (or the B&M obviously) I got a tin with seven years of aging on it!

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks stanlaurel

DUNHILL-DATE.jpg

Dunhill-dating.JPG

CB - The manufacturer: Scandinavian Tobacco in Assens/Denmark.
31 - The machine on which it was produced.
2 - The year of production starting with 2010 (2012).
C - The month of production in descending order A-L (March).
8 - The day of production within that month (March 8th).

Reactions: Peter Turbo
Status
Not open for further replies.