PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Two Dunhill tobaccos arrived in the morning mail: London Mixture and Mixture 965. When I opened the package, I was immediately concerned by what seemed like an overpowering and somewhat uninviting tobacco aroma. Good thing first impressions aren't always correct.
I loaded up my Dr. Grabow full bent with some 965. Lit the tobacco, and was surprised by how pleasant the smoke was - by far the smoothest smoke yet, and finally some tobacco where I was able to actually taste some variations in flavor. Also surprising was that the pipe stayed lit for the entire smoke - no need to relight even once.
I will not be smoking every day nor more than once in a day. I'm ultimately aiming for once per week once I get the hang of this. We'll see.
This weekend I anticipate another Dr. Grabow arriving - a Royalton with a lucite stem. I recognize that Dr. Grabows are machine made, low-end pipes. But the Royalton is an attractive pipe with a lucite stem for $32. I'll give the London Mixture a try.
As I write this I can still taste the spiciness of the Dunhill 965.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
965 is the tobacco that broke me out of the aromatic rut that I had been in for over 20 years. I didn't know non-aromatics could be that good. Congratulations on entering a new world of tobacco. The Royalton is a fine pipe too, and I enjoy mine regularly. I might also suggest estate Viscount's, which were the high grades of Dr. Grabow pipes. I have one that is more than 30 years old, and is a fantastic smoker.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
965 is great, not too heavy, not too light. I haven't had London Mixture yet, I should pick up a tin of that one.
My first snort of Latakia in a tin was also rather off-putting, to say the least. I quickly grew to love it, though.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Glad it is all starting to click for you. The Dunhill tobaccos have gone through a plethora of changes and points of origin over the years but the name still commands a huge following and there's tons of it sold.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
965 is one of my all-time favorites, along with Nightcap. I have a Dr. Grabow Royalton 'dog and smoke it

every time I want a filtered briar. You can use it without the filter if you want, though I find that draw

a little too open, a little breezy with the flavor. It is an absolutely beautiful pipe to me, artfully shaped,

well engineered, and just right with weight and balance. I feel as if the folks in Sparta, N.C., have a special

place in their hearts for that pipe; I suspect that is the one favored by employees at the shop. I get the same

surge of appreciation when I handle and smoke it as I do when I smoke a hand-carved pipe. It's more than

just a pipe; it has soul.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
The Royalton I ordered is the bulldog model as well. The photos I've seen make it look like a far more expensive pipe than it is. I'm looking forward to its arrival - hopefully Saturday.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I've been smoking Dunhill Early Morning Pipe nearly every morning lately. There's just something about it that beckons me every morning when I am deciding what to smoke with my cup of coffee. G. L. Pease Chelsea Morning held that spot for a while, but I currently have no opened tins of it, and the EMP is quite satisfying.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Great to hear this is all starting to click for you Andy. There are so many other great tobaccos waiting out there for you, it could take years to sample them all. My plan is to give it my best effort :D

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm a big fan of many Dunhill tobaccos. They are quite high quality tobaccos and burn very well. EMP and Elizabethan Mix are both very nice and have a place in my regular rotation.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
No doubt, Dunhill makes some excellent tobaccos. I prefer London over 965 (usually) and also always have Early Morning Pipe around. I'm guessing that you won't stop at one bowl a week. Particularly during nice weather. There's nothing like a good pipe on the porch.
No need to say things like "I realize that Dr. Grabows are machine made, low-end pipes . . . " Most ooh and aah over pics over other's custom carved masterpieces, and rightfully so, they are works of art. But most of us have a Grabow or two, and some basket pipes, and some cobs. A Grabow or a basket pipe can deliver a great smoke. Right now, I'm smoking a "made in London England," no-name, billiard, basket pipe that I've had for 30 years and probably picked up for $10. It is one of my favorite pipes (not that I have any custom or high end pipes to compare). The grain is not great and there are some fills. Who cares? It is as comfortable as old jeans and smokes like a champ. I hope your new Grabow smokes like a dream. Enjoy.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Being relatively new to smoking, I haven't had the opportunity to smoke any dunhill blends. I'm excited to say that will soon change as I have 965, EMP and nightcap all on the way in TAD orders :)
And I agree with Wilson - nothing wrong with a grabow, I have a freehand that smokes great! All pipes are unique in their own way. Discovering the essence of each pipe is accomplished through smoking it. Its a wonderful journey :)

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
After watching a number of Youtube videos and reading a number of posts, I cleaned the Dr Grabow Full Bent this morning. A bit of 91% alcohol from the drug store and then some rum - with a good cleaning with pipe cleaners and Q-tips (and a paper towel in the bowl), has cleaned the pipe up nicely. I wanted to get the flavor of the original tobaccos out so all I will be getting will be the Dunhills. Next up is Dunhill London.
With the Dunhill London I'm at a loss for words to describe the fragrance, but there is a deep spicy note that I'm trying to figure out what it is. It isn't present in the "Danish" blend from my local tobacconist (bulk) nor in Prince Albert. Anyone have an idea what I might be referring to? I'm guessing one of the tobaccos?

curl

Apr 29, 2014
For now I'm done with aromatics.

I just ordered two sets of samplers from P&C...four Dunhills and six GL Pease's.

The six cans are mostly described as English.

It's going to be hard to compare the Dunhills vs GL Pease cause I'm only going to open them one at a time.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
curl:
If you really want to compare blends -- and remember what you've smoked throughout your journey -- then I'd suggest keeping a tobacco journal. I'm a writer -- by vocation as well as nature -- so I guess it just came naturally to me to do this from the moment I smoked my first bowl back in 1980. But I can't tell you how much I treasure that journal now.
Bob

eyelander

Lurker
Jun 12, 2014
I'm looking forward to trying more Dunhill blends myself. So far I've tried 965 which was my first english blend and will be buying more in the future. I recently got a tin of Nightcap and so far I don't care for it. I don't even know why I don't like it, maybe the perique. I do like the nicotine hit I get from it, will have to try it a couple more times. I'm most interested in trying their Flake and Aperitif seems like something I'd like.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Despite my limited access to different tobacco blends, I've managed to get a tin of EMP. Wow! I've been smoking on it all week and running it through several different pipes. Smokes cool as a cucumber and smooth as silk. Definately ordering more! The aroma of the unsmoked tobacco is quite robust, but I'm still looking for some significant flavor. It could be my tastebuds have gotten overworked by all the strong oriental and cigar leaf I've been smoking.
I'v become a Dunhill fan as of the very first bowl. Quality tobacco, easy to load and smoke, zero bite or burn, top drawer!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
If I had to pick two Brands of tobacco, and stick with them exclusively, they would be Dunhill and G. L. Pease. I thoroughly enjoy everything I have ever smoked from both of these companies. There are others for sure, but these two come immediately to my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.