PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
I buy the match bulk EMP and Nightcap and put them in my old Dunhill Tins so I can still admire the beautiful artwork while I smoke. When Royal Yacht goes down the tubes, I will truly be lost. :crying:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rather than try to match Royal Yacht, which would send you on a search for the eternal magic sauce, I'd just try around with some of the good tobacco-forward aromatics. You have to find this for yourself, your own taste, but good ones are Iwan Ries Three Star Blue and Edward G. Robinson. They're no Royal Yacht, but they're good and sustaining. But as noted, you have to find your own replacement to your own tastes, of course.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I think I can find something for Nightcap. I love DH Aperitif, which may prove to be more difficult.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
All of the Dunhill blends are manufactured by STG. As far as I know, they are just another item on STG's production line. No unique tobaccos or processes are used. Explore your other options and try other STG products. The John Cotton's line may yield a hit for you. Either way, if the "Dunhill" name is no longer used for pipe tobacco, I am fairly certain that the blends themselves (or at least those available on Feb 15, 2007)will soldier on, under a different banner. SO you may want to keep your empty Dunhill tins and simply refill them.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I tried many American English blends as was suggested above. MC Clelland, Pease, SPC, H&H. They are great on their own and a nice change from time to time but, alas, none of these can replace my beloved Dunhills. I hope that the STG will keep on manufacturing them under different names. I cannot see how they couldn't. The Dunhills sell well here on my side of the pond as a local Tobacconist confirmed me lately.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Found the perfect replacement for EMP: Presbyterian mixture. It's even a bit better. A little more flavorful but still mild and very well balanced. Light on the Latakia. EMP check! The search continues. Suggestions are still welcome.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Standard Tobacco of PA: John Cotton's blends; Smyrna; Bengal Slices are in my wheel house for English blends. Don't overlook Seattle Pipe Club and Wilke blends for English and VA's.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The only Dunhill tobacco I'll miss is EMP. That's a go to blend for me in the mornings with a nice coffee. Great way to start the day. My other go to blend in the morning is Samuel Gawith - Skiff Mixture. Both EMP and Skiff mixture contain; Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, and Virginia. EMP is listed as a English blend and Skiff is listed as an Oriental. If EMP does go away I'll still have my Skiff Mixture to start my day.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Crown Achievement might be a good replacement for Nightcap.
Funny how much tastes vary - I see almost nothing similar about EMP and McConnell's Oriental (one of my top three blends, whereas EMP is very low); or between EMP and Presby, which is much lighter, finer, and with a lot less latakia. Squadron Leader is probably the closest I can think of.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
The Dunhill english mixtures are my favorites by far and since it seems that they are doomed I must find replacements. What are your suggestions for the following blends:

- EMP

- London

- Standard

- Nightcap
I know how you feel, because I also love those blends. But as others have already said, we are all probably out of luck. Better now to accept the inevitable. Nothing can replicate Dunhill tobaccos. As with all pipe tobaccos, their flavors are unique, and sadly will be no more.
But if you like English or Virignia-Burley blends, I suggest you try some Peterson tobaccos. They have some great blends that are still in production.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
@lazar: yes tastes vary. Even my own from one day to the other. I had high hopes regarding SL but I was very disappointed. It is much lighter than EMP and has nothing of that delicious toasted VA. Presbyterian is for me the closest match. And it certainly has not less Latakia than EMP as far as I'm concerned. In fact there's discussion of EMP contains any Latakia at all much as for Presbyterian. Both do. That much is certain but just a little.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
@thomasmartin, I know what you mean about SL. It took me a long time to "get" it, and even now while I can appreciate it more I probably wouldn't buy it again. Margate is along the same lines for me, but so much better (though almost impossible to find).
As for EMP, my tastes even vary there. I liked it for a while, but lately find it kind of horrible! I enjoy Presby, but it's so light for me - in body and flavor - that I don't smoke it very often.

thedbs999

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2018
Wheeling, WV
Sorry to bring up a year old thread, but I will. Now that Dunhill is gone are there any recent suggestions for the original post??
Dan

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I say this as a huge fan of Nightcap: there are so many good English blends out there that finding another good English to smoke at this point is pretty much a non-issue. There are several Dunhill-inspired English blends by G.L. Pease. I personally love Westminster, and it is probably my favorite English at the moment. "Quiet Nights" and "Chelsea Morning" are Pease's interpretation of Nightcap and EMP, respectively.
In a few years we might really find something to worry about... FDA deeming regulations in full effect and probably sky-high taxes on our pipe baccy sooner or later.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Robert McConnell at pfeifendepot.de is blending Dunhill Clones. The tins will look somewhat familiar and the names are kind of screwy but they got fairly good ratings on tobacco reviews. Going to have to pay VAT and shipping though.
Check tobaccoreviews.com for "Robert Mcconnell" and you'll find the blends there.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
This thread changed my life a year ago. This was my first exposure to the forums here and after this I started lurking, then signed up. It's been a great year since I made the switch from cigars to pipes and I've tried almost all of the blends suggested here. I for one like many of them better than the Dunhill offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.