PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I remember reading ads for these when they came out, but this is the first one I've ever seen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-DUNHILL-SPACE-SHUTTLE-PIPE-w-AD-HEAVY-18K-GOLD-Band-EXTREMELY-RARE-/310683258971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48562a505b

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Wow, one ugly pipe. Don't get me wrong, I love Dunnies, and I have great respect for NASA. But the two go together about as good as pickles and ice cream.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Over $600 with six days to go. When I think of the things $600 will buy this pipe doesn't make the list. Like Kashmir, I'm not into pickles and icecream.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I doubt that it too can be smoked

I think I've heard it can be. Miniature pipes have a long history. They are a rare collectable and considered to be a feat of carving skill. I've seen them as single pipes, boxed sets and lapel/tie type pins. I've read on very good account that the shuttle pipes were carved b Bill Taylor during his late years of service at Dunhill.

This piece didn't move At $1,700 some. I thought that was a steal. Years ago they moved fast at more than that. 8O

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I saw that pipe at the NY Pipe club meeting 2 months ago owned by our own E.Roberts!
I couldn't believe that Dunhill would make that thing. I don't think that he smokes it, but it sure is conversation piece.
FWIW, its ridiculous.
IMHO
Allan

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
That thing is ridiculous. I don't think my pipe needs a pipe. 'Course if I was on fire, I'd want a smoke too. lol.
That makes me wonder who, IMO, dropped the ball at Dunhill.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
daveinlax said:

I've read on very good account that the shuttle pipes were carved by Bill Taylor during his late years of service at Dunhill.
You are correct Dave. Bill Taylor told me that he made those miniatures personally years ago. He went on to say that when he completed his apprenticeship at Dunhill, his test was to make a smokable miniature Dunhill Pipe which he did. I would certainly like to know where that miniature is today, probably in the Dunhill Archives.
The Shuttle Pipes is truly a Dunhill Collector's treasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.