PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I'm with you mike. Me and aros just don't get along anymore. I had H&H Egg Nog over the holiday. It was good, but won't buy it again. To me pipe smoking is like foods you had as a child that are not cutting it anymore as an adult. You just out grow it.
Side note: My first tobacco I smoked as a newbie was Mac Baren 7 Seas. Thanks God I didn't get turned off from smoking pipes by that blend. Tongue bit all day until I taught myself how to smoke it. LOL. :puffy:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Tongue bit all day until I taught myself how to smoke it.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this makes me wonder: What led you to stick with it long enough to figure out how to best approach it? There must have been something there that you liked well enough to put in the time, right?
There are a couple of blends I've tried over the years that I dumped without finishing even one bowl. I knew immediately I didn't like them, and I'm not likely to give them a second chance. But others -- and Royal Yacht might fall into this category for some -- may be worth a longer trial period.
Bob

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Well Bob,
I was brand new and didn't know about the different blends like I do today. Yes I had TB, but it wasn't enough to make me quite. I would give it a rest for a few days and try it again. It could have been my first pipe as well. i just know that I wanted to get into it and I had a lot to learn. Now granted if it would have continued, then I would have given it up totally. I just took my time with it because I thought I was doing something wrong, but it turned out to be the tobacco. Needless to say that I have never smoked it again since I bought my first tin of it. Not a big Mac Baren fan.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just happened to see this if you love this brand and want to see what 25 years will do to it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Royal-Yacht-Tobacco-tin-50g-tin-/221179721450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337f56b6ea

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, lol that might work if he was consistent, but there are some blends that he likes that I agree with, but others almost the exact same thing he hates. He is the most prolific reviewer on the site with 1000 reviews. For example, he gives Escudo a 4 star rating but gives Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls a 1 star. Those two blends are so similar that I could see maybe giving the NR a 3 because it is a tad sweeter, but a 1, it makes no sense.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I plan on trying a bunch of dunhills stuff when P&C puts them on sale in May. Buy 2 tins get 1 free. Great opportunity to get a jump start, or add to your cellar for cheap.
:D

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
This thread made me go back to this tobacco. I bought a tin about a year ago, and maybe smoked 5 bowls. It was not really my thing. Just opened it back up packed and lit a bowl. The harsh flavor has really toned down. I'm not getting an unpleasant scratch in the back of my throat. The vitamin N is still there, but now the taste is pleasant. For me I would have to say that time has done its duty.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
First, I am eagerly awaiting that sale! :lol
I have smoked RY a couple of times and I really like it. I like Va/VaPers but the "difference" in this blend is something I find pleasantly surprising and different. My son actually bought the tin, I didn't think I'd like the stuff. But so far every Dunhill blend I've tried (4), including this one, I really enjoy.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'll try to place an order at P&C in May when Dunhill goes on sale as well.
I say "I'll try" because I'm thinking that we'll be seeing that ubiquitous "OUT OF STOCK" moniker a lot after the sale starts {sigh}.
Well if you place an order for Nightcap, that I see going out of stock very fast. If you get your order in before it's listed as backordered on the site, they will honor the order and sale price and not charge you until it does ship. In fact they will ship your other things, and just charge you for what was shipped. So if you plan to buy a bunch of tins, and we know that's going to happen, just get your order in before its listed backordered when you can't add it. I plan to buy, well a lot of it, and I think it will be gone first day. Sometimes P&C gets it right in a business sense. If there is a large amount people buying lets say 20 tins+, they should fill the small orders to keep the people happy (and save themselves shipping), and knowing that the larger orders are just storing, put those on back order. But that may be too much business sense for them. It may make sense to actaully add something to an order that would force them to dual ship, to get yours filled?
Craig

easydraw

Lurker
Nov 23, 2012
Did I miss something about pipes and cigars having a sale? Or are prices going to go up? RY was going to be on my order list to try in Feb.

easydraw

Lurker
Nov 23, 2012
OK Rothnh,
Had me worried for a minuet! I have a big order im putting in to cover a broad spectrum didnt know if I should wait tell May.

Aug 14, 2012
dragonslayer: $43.99 for an aged tin? The activity of buying and ageing tobacco just became a potential future business in case I get very old. As for Royal yacht, a pipe dealer sent me a free tin. I liked the taste very much, but it started to turn my stomach about 2/3 to 3/4 through the smoke. The problem was aggravated by smoking it in a #6 Dunhill shell. Large Dunhill shells mess up my stomach with any tobacco. So I tossed it.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Fortunatelly I found a tin of Royal Yacht in my mearger stash. I think I will save it for spring and savour it then. Might have to buy a couple more before that time; I am pretty confident that I will like it.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I finally got the nerve to open my tin of this RY two nights ago. I agree that it is one of those blends that you love or hate and I really really like it! Very earthy and green tasting to me. Almost like what green moss would taste like if you smoked it. Meaning, "it taste how it smells" deal when burning.
Anyway, the smell out the tin has a fruity smell like fresh figs which is cool. As I smoked it, it is very strong indeed. You really have to sip this one for sure. However, the vitamin N in the blend didn't hit me until I got to the end of the bowl and it was pretty deep bowl at that. Might be because I am a Night Cap fan so maybe I am use to it. All in all it was very good to me. This is something I would smoke at night with a stiff drink to relax with.

zdwebb12

Might Stick Around
Jan 25, 2013
I'll have to try some Royal Yacht. I love tobaccos with a good N-kick. I have some Dunhill Flake jarred up and if any of you pure VA lovers haven't tried it I highly recommend it.

planetscott

Lurker
Apr 7, 2013
This was my father's favorite, so he gave me a tin. It was so very overwhelming I could not handle it. I tried several times but had to admit defeat. Too bad as it was pleasant until I got dizzy, sweaty and nervous.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Royal Yacht was the first Non drugstore blend I ever tried in 1998. I did NOT like it. I went into my B&M the other day to see if they had Dunhill Flake, Early Morning, or Nightcap and he was out of all three. Jerry the Wizard then recommended I try RY. I told him he tried that on me when I was 18 and didn't know any better! He assured me that it was different now. It really is. They changed the blend up a bit although it was long enough now, that I can't tell you how. I like it a lot! I keep the tin with me for my car smoking. If you are trying to cut smoking nails, I've found this, University Flake, and Irish flake so far satisfy my vitamin N urges. I will get the other Dunhills as soon as the Wizard has 'em in. He promised to set some aside for me. :puffpipe:

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Well I tried this again last week and thought I gave it short shrift the first time. It is quite good and I will continue with the tin I have and enjoy it. Dunhill tobaccos have always impressed me with their quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.