PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
To our more learned friends.

I found a Dunhill for sale on the "Bay" and asked the seller to supply more photos, I wanted to see the date stamp in particular, which he did do, although the date stamp isn't too clear. Please see the attached.
However, I see that the "MADE IN ENGLAND" has been re-stamped. I know that the pipe has been to Dunhill for repair/service sometime during its life, would it have been re-stamped during that time?
Other stampings are sound.

Thanks for any info'.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What a mess.

There's nothing nefarious going on---no way to make money by attempting to re-stamp pipes, especially since it CAN'T be done except badly rotf

Forced to guess, I'd say it was someone's first day on the job at Dunhill who thought trying to re-stamp a repair (or whatever) was a good idea. Almost certainly in the early-mid 1970's when the cost accountants were busy trashing the place.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
What a mess.

There's nothing nefarious going on---no way to make money by attempting to re-stamp pipes, especially since it CAN'T be done except badly rotf

Forced to guess, I'd say it was someone's first day on the job at Dunhill who thought trying to re-stamp a repair (or whatever) was a good idea. Almost certainly in the early-mid 1970's when the cost accountants were busy trashing the place.
Thanks, George.