Dunhill Ranking - Which One's the Most Iconic?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2016
1. Durbar (Murray's)

2. Light Flake (Murray's)

3. Standard Mixture, any version was good in my opinion.

4. Nightcap (Murray's)

5. Apéritif (the new version and I never had any other)

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
In reverence to the Dunhill collection, I enjoyed some Standard Mixture and Durbar tonight.
Both were excellent. As usual. :puffy:

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
1. Aperitif - I enjoy the complexity of the blend and the deep flavors.

2. Nightcap - My tie with Aperitif but I only have one tin of NC left so I have not had too much of it.

3. Early Morning Pipe - A great blend and I consume it as directed, in the morning. Last tin left and I will miss it very much. I will smoke the last little bit out of a mini cob if I have to!
I came in after they were gone and had a hard time sourcing them. I enjoy them on my special occasions but I have moved on to obtainable blends and am happy to smoke those as well.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
only had a tin of dnr. came in too late. but was able to get couple of tins for most dunhill blends i was interested in. no luck with night cap.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Nightcap was tops but also ... Royal Yacht, Apertif, Dark Flake, BB1938
Ye Olde Signe and Durbar were also really good

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The Oxford Brogue is always in fashion.
And a steal at only $750!

jay-roger.jpg

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Nightcap has the most reviews on TR: 586

MM 965: 552

EMP: 531
Not sure why this matters... I'm bored.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just to say, I think many had less celebrated Dunhill blends as their favorites in the brand. I really enjoyed the big names, but also several of the others.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only 2 Dunhill blends in my cellar are Deluxe Navy Rolls and Flake.
In regards to what is similar to their Flake, Capstan Blue is a nice substitute. Capstan Gold Flake to my tastes has a distinct citrus thing going on which is nice but not as tasty as the Blue. I have maybe a dozen tins of the Gold Flake and over 150 tins of the Blue.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
965 was a go to blend of mine for many years. I have some cellared but as many in this thread have already mentioned, I have moved on to other blends. I did however, get my hands on a Murray's MM 965 and man....that stuff cannot be beat

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
+1 to Nightcap. It's one of my favorites. I have 10 pounds cellared and would be happy to have at least 10 pounds more.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I have always liked Nightcap although it's not my daily smoke. I have one unopened tin left after the one I'm working on. You guys with the vast cellars of tobacco have a bigger purse than I do. :)

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I would say EMP is the most iconic and talked about by pipers. I know when people are new to the hobby they ask for recommendations for english blends to try. EMP typically tops the list.

them4chef

Lurker
Oct 23, 2018
I'll throw in here though my experience is somewhat limited but I know what I like.

1) nightcap

2) my mixture 965

3) EMP
Nightcap by far is my favorite and I'm hoping the 4 tins of quiet nights that are on their way is a suitable replacement
965 is good but honestly I actualy prefer peterson old dublin so that's good due to availability.
EMP is ok but honestly doesn't do a whole lot for me.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I haven't tried all the Dunhill blends, but out of the ones I've smoked I'd also pick Nightcap. Next would be E.M.P., Mm965, Aperitif, and Royal Yacht.
When I first picked up a pipe a couple decades ago, Nightcap and E.M.P. were mind blowers and they will always be special to me.
I love Durbar, London Mixture and Elizabethan, but to me they aren't icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.