Dunhill Question for the experts out there.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey guys,

I just picked up what I believe to be an unsmoked 1985 Dunhill 5405 in the Chestnut finish w/ a cumberland stem.
The only problem is that "Dunhill" isn't stamped anywhere on the pipe.

What it DOES have is:

-MADE IN ENGLAND25

-the Dunhill white spot on the stem-which appears in every way to be an authentic, hand-cut Dunhill brindle stem.
The shape is also RARE. Some internet research revealed a lot of Dunhill 4405 (the group 4 variant), but no other 5405's.
It also appears to be completely fill-free.
Can anyone help me out there? Have you ever heard of a Dunhill that wasn't actually stamped "Dunhill"??

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
If you can post some pics that would be great. I haven't heard of Dunhill not stamped Dunhill but I suppose its not out of the question. That being said, fakes are known to be out there...less so now than 20 years ago.
The First 5 is the size, the 40 I believe is the slightly bent stem which isn't very common and the last 5 is the dublin shape. Does your pipe match that?

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
OK, here's some pics.
If you look closely at the last pic of the stem, you'll see that once upon a time, someone wanted $415.00.

I just found this, and it further confirms it for me as authentic.
But does anyone out there know for sure?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
It's missing the Chestnut or Russet finish nomenclature too. Enjoy it, missing nomenclature affects the value not how it will smoke. 8O

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Usually the pipes are stamped Dunhill along with the finish, ie. Cumberland, etc. Here's a site that may be another starting point for you.
http://www.rdfield.com/Articles/A%20Dunhill%20Pipe%20Dating.htm

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Thank you both.
I have both a legitimate 1984 Dunhill Cumberland Poker (with a stem that looks identical to the pipe in question), as well as a Dunhill 1982 Chestnut 4111 w/ all of the same stamping in the same places, except it's got a "DUNHILL" and "CHESTNUT" and this one doesn't.
So I'm 95% sure it's a legit Dunhill that the factory didn't stamp, BUT I was wondering if anyone had ever seen any other Dunhill's where this was the case.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Look up Music City Marketing, they distribute Dunhill's here in the USA. They may have someone on their staff you can send pics to review.

Status
Not open for further replies.