PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like someone is stuck with a bunch of Dunnies they can't unload on eBay. :rofl:
This is easier.
rubbermaid-plastic-trash-cans-2008186-64_1000.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
My two pennies? (yeah sure, I always arrive late to giving an opinion on most threads :mrgreen: ) ... neeeh. In romanian we have a saying "ca la pomul laudat", meaning word for word Dunhill is like the praised tree - something that is way over rated. It costs a fortune, and you have all the chances you will be disappointed. I own one, and I don't think I am going to bank on a second. I got it for a reasonable price for a Dunhill, but I rarely smoke it. For some reason I am not into that long stinger system they have. Mine takes many relights, but that's also possibly due to the unusual shape and size of the bowl. It's a good pipe, but - it has been said, you can get equally better if not plain better pipes for much less.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I have a ring grain billiard with a bamboo shank that smokes great. I've had 3 others that I sold because they didn't smoke well for my tastes. Can't say I'm looking for more.
It's just a pipe. For the money of most of them, you're probably going to enjoy a small-scale hand carved pipe by a local artisan more. Better story behind it. Or, you can get a collection of a few solid mid-level factory brands and increase your chances of getting a great smoker.
I think it's hard to find a brand/carver that consistently smokes amazingly well. Possible, but hard. There's a sizeable aftermarket in pipes for this reason, I suspect. A lot of people buy on aesthetics/brand, but the quality of smoke your pipe delivers will decide on whether or not you keep smoking it.
Quality smokers can come from $20 to $2000 pipes. Roll the dice according to your financial ability. I guess one point about Dunhill is that if you buy used at a decent price, you won't be out of pocket so much if you sell it later. Seems to be enough people still buying them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
danish, I really like your son's quote. It should be my mantra for myself.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
elpfeife: I can answer for all of the members. Some think the quality to be great. Others? Not so much and a few absolutely detest them while others love them. That's the answer in a nutshell. Why do you ask? Hopefully you are not looking for a consensus.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I know, Warren. I was attempting to make a wisecrack since the two subjects always have similar results. :|

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What warren says, plus some that are in between the two extremes. All of mine smoke fine, but a couple have too many fills for a $100+ pipe.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have a quite a few Dunhills.
dunhills-600x450.jpg

The consensus above is mostly right, though. They *can* be great smokers and mine all are. Paying retail for them is not for the faint of heart and they really are overpriced.
I have gotten all mine at good to fantastic prices on the estate market, and you can, too if you keep your eyes open. I got one of Foggy's Dunny's that is absolutely beautiful and a great smoker that I got after that pic was taken. Many people are fond of the Company's take on classic shapes. I am one.
I also like many of Peterson's shapes, and am a fan of that company as well.
If I had my druthers, though, I would have more Charatans. I always loved those best, but I just caught the tail end of the good ebay era for those and now all the good ones go to Asia for silly money, it seems. Doesn't matter anyway because my buying has been drastically reduced in the last 8 months.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Dunhills are solid,well made,good smoking pipes,with consistently good workmanship.The oversized ones tend to have a more open draw than the smaller ones,or so I

‘E found.But that’s it.Worth the money? That’s up to you.I bought mine in order to satisfy my curiosity,so at the time,they were worth it to me.This pipe stuff is all very subjective.

I don’t plan to buy any more Dunhills.There are pipes being made today that smoke just as open,if not more so,and actually have beautiful grain and workmanship.If you want a new root Briar that has half assed grain,stand by with 1,000 dollars.But,like I said,it’s all subjective.If you like them,and have the money to lay down,then do it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On a more considered and thoughtful note, it depends on what you hope to get from buying a Dunhill. Are they better made than all other pipes?
No.
Are they well made pipes with beautiful wood carefully carved to bring out the best in the briar? Depends on the era, and even then, sometimes yes and sometimes no.
If you're looking for a great smoking implement, can you find other pipes that will deliver a great smoke for a lot less than a new Dunhill costs.
Yes.
If you're looking for a pipe whose name is universally known, Dunhill is the one to get. And make no mistake, you're paying extra for that Dunhill stamp.
Dunhill bits and stems are very well designed and very comfortable. The wood is variable. The drilling is generally spot on. Most of the production is farmed out.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^ So true.
Just don't discount them altogether should a great deal fall in your lap.
Unless you aren't open to estate pipes. I don't know if that was discussed by the OP?

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
I had one, in my previous pipe smoking life, that was quite a bit older than I. It was beautiful. It was the best smoking pipe I owned at the time. It was given to me, free of charge, and was one of the first few pipes I acquired.
I could afford one if I desired one today... but would I buy one? Only if I got a screaming deal on an old estate in pristine condition.
I've since discovered cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.