PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Hi All:

As you may have seen in a separate thread, BAT (owner of the Dunhill brand), has announced that it has decided to 'cease trading' with Dunhill pipe tobacco and cigars.
STG Lane is the importer for the pipe tobacco here in the U.S.
Here is what we know: BAT plans to cease trading Dunhill Pipe Tobacco in the U.S. in the next 12 - 18 months. The decision was the result of an internal BAT business review.
That is ALL we know right now. At the point of this writing, anything else you may read or hear regarding the precise business reasons behind the decision, exact timing, etc., should be considered pure speculation.
As we learn more about the fate of this beloved brand, we will of course keep you informed.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
It's reassuring to hear something from someone on the inside. Even though it's not exactly positive it's at least not speculative.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
This is such HUGE news that I'm shocked it's drawing such little reaction. If Dunhill tobacco isn't worth keeping in their portfolio, what does it say about the health of the industry? I thinks this is just about as serious as tobacco news gets. Luckily, I have enough tobacco to last the rest of my life, but this is still shocking news.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If Dunhill tobacco isn't worth keeping in their portfolio, what does it say about the health of the industry?
England is PC mad in general, anymore, and anything tobacco related has been getting the official stinkeye for quite a while. This latest is simply the next (predictable) step from a company that lost its heart years ago. "The White Spot", indeed. :evil: Dunhill's home page doesn't so much as whisper the "t-word" anywhere.
https://www.dunhill.com/us
At this point, no one but a pipe hobbyist or someone older than 40 would know that Dunhill ever had anything to do with tobacco, never mind was founded on it.
In short, I consider the situation more the result of an ever-decreasing quantity of testosterone in the leadership gene pool of a once glorious and amazing culture than anything else.
Whether or not England's recent rejection of the "Global Citizen" vision of unicorn bunnies and rainbow farms (a.k.a. the "Brexit" vote) is enough to turn the ship remains to be seen.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Dunhill site has no search results for tobacco and only one for pipe.
50185418WF_14_f.png

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
@bluegrass Seems likely one would follow the other unless there is a sea-change in public perception to drive sales.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
It seems to me that any pipes or tobacco bought with the hope of a good investment is a shattered dream.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I guess they have enough people buying $1500.00 briefcases, $350.00 dress shirts etc. to shutter the baccy business. Wonder how big that segment is?

Status
Not open for further replies.