PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
When I read that Dunhill was discontinuing MM965, I panicked...one of my everyday smokes was no more. I then sourced a five pound sealed bag from (I think) 4 noggins at a price I don't recall either. Never opened it.

I started smoking other blends and MM965 passed to memory, even recently bought a tin of the Pete 965 to compare, but I haven't even opened that..

Now, I don't miss it...other blends have taken over my tastes.

Maybe I'll sell the five pounder and just smoke the Peterson, I dunno...times change, the 'New Normal' is here.

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
Good review, the more I smoke MM 965, the more I enjoy it. It just might be my smoke for tonight. I also enjoy Beck’s Old Limey Bastard that is not the same but in a similar vein. It is a bulk blend available from 4noggins.

I picked up a couple oz of BOLB from B&B; had a bowl before i jarred it. I enjoyed it more than Match 20, seemed like the flavor was more consistent from start to finish. A tin of 965 is definitely on my list to get next.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll second the motion on C&D Stratfordshire if you like a full strength English that is not overbearing. You might also like C&D Tuggle Hall. At some point, I will have to try Match 20.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I think H & H Sunjammer is closer/better than the Match 20. It's not as cheap as the Match 20, but is still cheaper than tins of MM965.

I also think Rattray's Black Mallory is close to MM965 and can be found in bulk from time to time.

Reactions: ofafeather

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I think H & H Sunjammer is closer/better than the Match 20. It's not as cheap as the Match 20, but is still cheaper than tins of MM965.

I also think Rattray's Black Mallory is close to MM965 and can be found in bulk from time to time.

Coincidentally, I'm smoking Black Mallory right now. I bought a tin when Dunhill MM965 was no longer available, before the name change and subsequent return to the market had been announced. It's a good substitute, but I prefer MM965 because of the brown cav vs. black.

I have tins of MM965 and The Aperitif (RIP) from a couple years ago. If I can control myself I'll try them in 2028. :)

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Coincidentally, I'm smoking Black Mallory right now. I bought a tin when Dunhill MM965 was no longer available, before the name change and subsequent return to the market had been announced. It's a good substitute, but I prefer MM965 because of the brown cav vs. black.

I have tins of MM965 and The Aperitif (RIP) from a couple years ago. If I can control myself I'll try them in 2028. :)

Do you find the black cav sweeter? If so, I wonder if I like the Black Mallory for that reason. "Sweet Englishes" are something I have a soft spot for.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The OP Pipelady20 has been absent from these venerable halls for some months. Anybody know where she went?

highwaycobbery

Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
An English blend of latakia, Cavendish, and oriental tobaccos gave such a wonderful smoke. I've read that this is moreso called a Scottish blend.

Came in the tin at the right moisture, moreso drier. The tin note being a slight bbq with caramel. Takes a few relights to keep this going and the odor is great. A subtle warm, spicy, sweetness emanates from the pipe and i didnt want to stop. This blend reminds me of C&D's Maltese Falcon without the "mystery spice". Sipped slowly I got no tongue bite.

Will be buying more of this. Will probably get the Match 20 by Sutliff (bulk) as well to see if I get a similar experience with a more affordable price.

Smoked in: Cob by MM

Tin date: 3 months
Don’t tell cosmic you smoked it in a cob, he will rip it out yo mouth and curb stomp that piece of shit.cray

• Haha
Reactions: gerryp and 3rdguy

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Do you find the black cav sweeter? If so, I wonder if I like the Black Mallory for that reason. "Sweet Englishes" are something I have a soft spot for.

My taste buds could be out of wack, but I find MM965 with brown cav to be a little sweeter. I read that black cav is made from burley, while brown is made from Virginias.

Speaking of Presbyterian...I put that, Early Morning Pipe, and Red Rapparee in the same ballpark.

Reactions: saltedplug

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
I found Maltese Falcon to be quite enjoyable so I just picked up a tin of this stuff to give it a try as well!

Solid review and good recommendation, I'm looking forward to packing a bowl once it gets here.

Reactions: Cotton1 and gerryp

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I found Maltese Falcon to be quite enjoyable so I just picked up a tin of this stuff to give it a try as well!

Solid review and good recommendation, I'm looking forward to packing a bowl once it gets here.

I did a little review of Maltese Falcon on Tobacco Reviews. I said that they must put crack in it because once I start smoking it I find it hard to take the pipe out of my mouth. It's one of my favorites.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I do like 965 but when I smoke an English, say while doing yard work, I have found that MM American Patriot is an outstanding English. Blended by Russ and acquired 3.5 stars from Jiminks. Does have a touch of black cav but its not overbearing and it is intended for cobs so no one gets upset..lol

Reactions: 3rdguy

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
My taste buds could be out of wack, but I find MM965 with brown cav to be a little sweeter. I read that black cav is made from burley, while brown is made from Virginias.

Speaking of Presbyterian...I put that, Early Morning Pipe, and Red Rapparee in the same ballpark.
There are black VA Cavendishes. Dobie’s Four Square Cavendish, GH Black Cavendish, and Rattray’s Black VA are 3 examples that come quickly to mind. I love the brown, as well, and prefer the VA vs any Burley version.

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
Pipestud has a couple aged tins for those interested.
I just opened a tin today and while I’m certainly no expert I will say its excellent. I’m still learning all the different types of tobacco after a couple of years of smoking what ever tuna I feel like and never looking to see what’s in it. Recently I’ve been trying to learn what’s what. Seems confusing at times but I’ll get there. I’m really liking this one. It’s a strong, full smoke and I do know that’s one characteristic I like. Still can’t discern the sweets and spices and leathers and all that stuff. I guess it takes time.

Reactions: Worknman

Swampy16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2020
I just opened a tin today and while I’m certainly no expert I will say its excellent. I’m still learning all the different types of tobacco after a couple of years of smoking what ever tuna I feel like and never looking to see what’s in it. Recently I’ve been trying to learn what’s what. Seems confusing at times but I’ll get there. I’m really liking this one. It’s a strong, full smoke and I do know that’s one characteristic I like. Still can’t discern the sweets and spices and leathers and all that stuff. I guess it takes time.
Smoking what ever “tin” I like, not tuna. Couldn’t find the edit button. I know, duh, but I still can’t find it. Duh,

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.