PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
After a decade of smoking this blend, almost exclusively, I've come to teh same conclusion on the brown Cavendish. No other match blend lists Brown cavendish.

I have been smoking some 965 today its the brown Cavendish that makes it special. Iam about to order the sutliffe match to compare I Read that it has black Cavendish which makes the blend sweeter by how much I will have to find out.

Bigdadz

Lurker
Dec 7, 2020
Montreal
I have been smoking 965 since the Murray days. I remember being disappointed with the blend when it switched to Orlik. Maybe the recipe wasn’t correct or I smoked it too moist.

Regardless of such variables, I never really thought how much aging probably had to do with it. Granted, the Murray’s version had a slightly coarser cut and more of that buttery, leathery dunhill profile.

I recently finished a 2015 tin of dunhill 965 and a current tin under the new Peterson name. Both by the same manufacturer and of equally high quality in my view. The aged tin definitely has more of that Latakia flavour coming through more homogeneously. This gives you the impression of a fuller and more leathery smoke and is why I believe this mixture benefits from aging.

In summation, STG’s 965 is as close as it gets and I couldn’t be happier.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Even though I don't smoke much latakia these days, I recently put down a tin of 965, that I jarred up a while ago, in record time.

I find it to be a little acrid when fresh, and fantastic with a little time.

Reactions: danimalia

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I recently order some Sutliff match 20 and a tin of GLP Maltese falcon
They are very similar and I really like both.
I never had the original Dunhill/Peterson blend so I can't say how close the Sutliff match is but I will be ordering more. I'm really enjoying English blends recently. I just put in an order for some Balkan II to try out.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’ve never smoked 965, I was able to get an STG tin of it about three months ago. I’ve only smoked a few bowls, but this post got me excited to fire up another bowl, as I type this.

Since I’m only on bowl 3, I’m still figuring it out, plus I don’t remember the other 2 previous bowls.

For now it comes across like a slightly more savory Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader, but my SL tin is 8 and half years of age.

I’d say for anyone enjoying this or any English, you definitely need to get an aged tin of SL too.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
An English blend of latakia, Cavendish, and oriental tobaccos gave such a wonderful smoke. I've read that this is moreso called a Scottish blend.

Came in the tin at the right moisture, moreso drier. The tin note being a slight bbq with caramel. Takes a few relights to keep this going and the odor is great. A subtle warm, spicy, sweetness emanates from the pipe and i didnt want to stop. This blend reminds me of C&D's Maltese Falcon without the "mystery spice". Sipped slowly I got no tongue bite.

Will be buying more of this. Will probably get the Match 20 by Sutliff (bulk) as well to see if I get a similar experience with a more affordable price.

Smoked in: Cob by MM

Tin date: 3 months
Nicely done. I should revisit this one, as my only experiences with it came with the bulk version several years ago when I preferred more extreme Latakia blends. I would probably appreciate it more now. Maltese Falcon is a favorite of mine, though the mystery spice is so critical that I couldn't really imagine it without it!

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Yes. Aging changes it, but as to whether it's for the better or worse is your call. I love the stuff.
Thanks. My current jar of MF is from 9/19 and it seems to be a little more creamy over the last month or so.
I'm hoping the 965 will be pretty close, but I plan to jar it when I get it, maybe try a bowl or two but mostly leave it be until I finish the MF.
My next tin of MF will be from 2014... I'm very curious about that one. I'm not sure if it will have changed in the sealed tin or if it will only start to age once I jar it.

Status
Not open for further replies.