PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
Looks fantastic. Let us know how they are Mark!
I‘ve never smoked the Dunhill Flaker before so my only comparison is with the Charatan Flake and Dark Flake and some European flakes. I really like the Charatan Flake and Dark Flake. This Peterson‘s version is so mild that I was a bit disappointed. I‘ll have to try it again to be sure but it didn’t excite me as much as I had hoped.

DDNR has always been one of my top favourites. Charatan Rolls are good but don‘t excite me quite as much. Escudo is a reasonable alternative but also not quite as good for me. I sometime like Roper‘s Roundels and other times I am less enthused. Davidson rolls are good but also not quite up to DDNR. I used to really like Heinrich‘s Curly Block but have been disappointed the last few times I tried it. I wasn‘t too worried because I still have a number of tins of Dunhill DDNR in the large tins with little content. But having STG put DDNR into production under the Peterson label was wonderful news.

I‘m smoking my first bowl of the Peterson DNR at the moment. It lights well and burns really well. But it‘s not as exciting as the DDNR I remember. I‘ll have to do a side by side comparison to be sure, but I don‘t think it is identical with DDNR because it is lacking some of the flavour..

It amazes me how memory works on pipe tobacco. I used to smoke Balkan Sobranie White back in the 70s and then didn‘t smoke a pipe again until 4 years ago. Three weeks ago, Marty Pulvers was in the UK, and he shared two bowls of an old tin of that tobacco with me. I don‘t smoke Latakia blends any more but this tasted identical to what I remembered, and I could understand why I kept smoking it all day, every day at the time. DDNR has made an equally strong impression on me, so it is disappointing that it may also 5188truly no longer exist.

Mark

Oct 7, 2016
I‘ve never smoked the Dunhill Flaker before so my only comparison is with the Charatan Flake and Dark Flake and some European flakes. I really like the Charatan Flake and Dark Flake. This Peterson‘s version is so mild that I was a bit disappointed. I‘ll have to try it again to be sure but it didn’t excite me as much as I had hoped.

DDNR has always been one of my top favourites. Charatan Rolls are good but don‘t excite me quite as much. Escudo is a reasonable alternative but also not quite as good for me. I sometime like Roper‘s Roundels and other times I am less enthused. Davidson rolls are good but also not quite up to DDNR. I used to really like Heinrich‘s Curly Block but have been disappointed the last few times I tried it. I wasn‘t too worried because I still have a number of tins of Dunhill DDNR in the large tins with little content. But having STG put DDNR into production under the Peterson label was wonderful news.

I‘m smoking my first bowl of the Peterson DNR at the moment. It lights well and burns really well. But it‘s not as exciting as the DDNR I remember. I‘ll have to do a side by side comparison to be sure, but I don‘t think it is identical with DDNR because it is lacking some of the flavour..

It amazes me how memory works on pipe tobacco. I used to smoke Balkan Sobranie White back in the 70s and then didn‘t smoke a pipe again until 4 years ago. Three weeks ago, Marty Pulvers was in the UK, and he shared two bowls of an old tin of that tobacco with me. I don‘t smoke Latakia blends any more but this tasted identical to what I remembered, and I could understand why I kept smoking it all day, every day at the time. DDNR has made an equally strong impression on me, so it is disappointing that it may also View attachment 5188truly no longer exist.

Mark
No reason whatsoever that DDNR won’t be the same except human nature is wired such that our expectations overwhelm reality.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and achtman

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
It may be wishful thinking, but I’m kind of hoping that the local cigar and tobacco shop here in Perth (Western Australia) will stock the former Dunhill tobaccos as well when they said they were looking to stock up on Peterson blends.

I’ve never tried any of the Dunhill flakes and I would to try some, even if it is expensive here.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The phoenix rises from the ashes as it were. You can't keep a good blend down, nor twenty.

Reactions: lawdawg

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
No reason whatsoever that DDNR won’t be the same except human nature is wired such that our expectations overwhelm reality.

Seems that you are right.

I was so convinced that you were werong and there was a difference in taste that I loaded up the same pipe with DDNR from an tin from 1918. I also loaded the new Peterson‘s DNR in a second pipe made by the pipe maker’s father. I am now smoking them in parallel. The only difference I can see is the Peterson‘s burns better. They taste the same, and both are different from my memories.

Mark

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
It is weird sometimes. I smoked a lot of the Scandinavian Tobacco Group's Navy Rolls (and Elizabethan Mixture almost exclusively), when that blend was regurlarly available and liked it very much. When I heard, that the Dunhills would be discontinued, I stopped smoking them, because I wanted to find other tobaccos to like and found some. Then, when I heard, that the Dunhill blends would be re-released, I opened a 2016 tin from my humble cellar and did no longer like it very much. I also had the impression, that it tasted different than in my memory, but I came to the conclusion, that my taste must have changed, since I learned to like other blends.

But all in all, thanks for your impressions, Mark!

Reactions: danish

tradition

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 27, 2018
Connecticut, USA
Most of my favorite blends are from Dunhill and have remained the same over the years with the different Dunhill blenders.

Hopefully the tradition continues.

Reactions: ron123

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
Seems that you are right.

I was so convinced that you were werong and there was a difference in taste that I loaded up the same pipe with DDNR from an tin from 1918. I also loaded the new Peterson‘s DNR in a second pipe made by the pipe maker’s father. I am now smoking them in parallel. The only difference I can see is the Peterson‘s burns better. They taste the same, and both are different from my memories.

Mark
ddrn from 1918? Awesome!

• Wow
Reactions: ormazd
Status
Not open for further replies.