PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
When I first started smoking a pipe (which wasn't long ago) I was all about aromatics. Lately my taste has changed and I am really liking some Latakia blends. When I get a craving for a bowl it's a Latakia blend that I crave. I still like aromatics but now I seem to always throw a bowl of Balkan Sasieni or Blackhouse in during the day.
Last night I opened my only tin of Dunhill Nightcap. I didn't get half way through the bowl and it knocked me on my ass. I smoked it in an unfiltered Aston with a small bowl size. My head was spinning. I reminded me of when I was a kid and the carnival came to town. I won and smoked one of those 18" cigars and then got on the tilt-a-whirl. I was just about as sick. Am I doing something wrong or am I just a Nic lightweight?

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Nightcap can do that to some people. I find for a strong tobacco or strong cigar, if I eat a heavy/rich meal before hand it minimizes the nic hit.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, some blends are a lot stronger than others. If you're really used to aromatics, the introduction of some English blends or blends with really strong nicotine contents will likely spin your head. Most aromatics don't contain a lot of nicotine due to the leaf chosen for those blends. Once you cross over out of aromatics, the nicotine starts to climb for most blends.
Smoking them is like drinking alcohol; the more you have to eat on your belly, the better it seems to absorb and is less likely to give you that head spin.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
You are doing everything right. Nightcap is a polarizing blend; some think it is a nicotine bomb and others (like myself) find it very mild. Everyone seems to agree on the wonderful English blend flavor profile however.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I found the nicotine in Nightcap at the lower end of medium-full, but that's just me. Identify, if you will, what signals your body gives you before you overload, as if you continue past that point you really won't enjoy it. I bet if your stomach is full and you smoke it in a smaller pipe you'll be fine. It caught you off guard this time, but with more attention you're more likely to succeed.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nightcap is very mild to me, and Irish Flake is incredibly strong. I am a very infrequent pipe smoker, so take that for what its worth.
Everyone reacts to blends differently, it is nothing you are doing 'wrong' or 'right'.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I enjoy Nightcap and the bold flavor it provides. I’ve never had a nic-hit from it. However, Peterson’s Irish Whiskey blend gets me loopy and dizzy each time! I think it just depends on what your body chemistry wants to do with that specific blend.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've never tried it. I've a few tins here but they're from AD 2012 and 2015. Guess they're too mellowed out now to provide the legendary nic kick.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
Was it the first bowl of the day or in a couple days? I find that if I haven’t had any nicotine in a couple of days and am a bit dehydrated then nicotine has a much bigger kick.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Don't know about Night Cap but what I do know some G&H Dark blends, as well as Revor and Condor brands,(yet St Bruno in some degree) are pretty insidious tobaccies,they would start out as mellow and smooth but after the midpoint of the bowl the nicotine in these will show its strength,

I'd guess the Dunhill Royal Yacht does fall in the same category.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I don't find Nightcap heavy with nicotine. Not light either, medium or maybe a little more. Apparently smokers react differently to each blend. Any blends I find to be heavy with nicotine, I smoke them in the evening and preferably with an alcoholic beverage, as I find nicotine and alcohol to have a mellowing effect on each other.

enrikon

Lurker
Dec 26, 2018
...they would start out as mellow and smooth but after the midpoint of the bowl the nicotine in these will show its strength,

I'd guess the Dunhill Royal Yacht does fall in the same category.
I confirm. I have never smoked "nightcap", but the "Royal yacht" made me that effect: delicious up to half the bowl, then the kick comes in the ass and I have to run to the bathroom.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Most lat tobaccos are best when casually sipped. Using that method I never had issues with Nightcap. Have you ever tried Super Balkan? It is full flavoured english that is smooth and no sideeffects or sore throat, for me at least.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There is a wide range of responsiveness to nicotine. You have to find your own comfort zone. Some people manage it well but get pretty addicted. Others are resistant but never buy tobacco for the nicotine, don't get much out of it. Some people get sick except with extra mild blends. Etc., etc. A full stomach helps, as does being well hydrated (plenty of water in your system). So find your own comfort zone. My first bowl of Nightcap in a large bowl pipe, smoked continuously for about an hour, hit me. Luckily it was the end of the evening, so I just went to bed. Once I had its measure, I paced myself and it was/is an enjoyable blend, with a definite nic quotient. I also like full-strength burleys and blends, but I never smoke for a nicotine hit, just enjoy it when it happens. But don't make a contest of it. Find your comfort (and pleasure!) zone and stay with that. Many new pipe smokers puff too hard and continuously; pace yourself; sip don't puff, mostly. We all puff a little, but slow down.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I love Nightcap. Used to be my daily tobacco. But, haven’t had any in years. It was that unique aroma/taste and strength that kept Nightcap at the top of my list.
I agree with the other replies Have something to eat and or be well hydrated if possible prior to dipping into Nightcap.
Would love to find a stray pound or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.