PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, I'd examine it, find out who the rich Dunhill collectors are, and get ready to box it up and send it. And thanks for the offer! May you win several lotteries!

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This pipe has been for sale as long as I can remember. The only reason I see it all the time is I toy with the idea of a birth year Dunhill and every time I search 1981 on sp.com this thing is the top result. I think it was as high as $6k two years ago. I can’t see anyone wanting this unless they curate their own very specific Dunhill collection. I don’t think I’d even drop $100 for this thing, though it is cool I suppose in its own way as a curiosity.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My take precisely.

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
- Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann, 1996

Reactions: Ahi Ka

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always stop cold when I encounter the microphone Dunhill online. Wha? Here's a outfit that has an ultra marketing scam going based on a pristine attitude toward tradition and classic design coming up with an item that looks like the valve replacement for a toilet tank. The materials aren't pretty, the design is hardware store, and the price is a sign of mental illness. I have decided it is a $3K joke, and a confession to the savvy pipe community that the prices are cosmic comedy. It is what is often called a tell.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I'd happily take it off their hands if they lowered the price to -$3325.00 and threw in a pallet of Prince Albert for my trouble.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To pick up the scent of what is going on with the Dunhill microphone pipe, I think it helps to understand a little about Cockney rhyming puns, Monte Python, and the sexual puns in Shakespeare, to understand the sidelong clever but sometimes cruel British wit. Of which this pipe is a prime example. It's all done with complete deadpan, no hint of a smile, and a stiff upper lip. I dare say.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've been keeping an eye on an estate Dunhill Microphone pipe on SPC for a while. Not because I like the pipe (I don't) but because it's unique and expensive. I noticed today that it's on sale but still over $3300. Clearly, SPC believes that there is value in this pipe but the market has yet to materialize for it. So, my question to you is, how low would the price need to go in order for you to actually buy this thing?

View attachment 54876
free that's what I would need to buy it. That's something though that I think is worth that price. But only to a specific buyer. That's the problem with big dollar items a lot of times, there is a smaller market. You would have to dig the specific history and have the spare cash to want this, but then it would be a treasured thing. To me it be a kind of neat pipe.