PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Just tried this for the first time. It’s the first Dunhill brand that I’ve smoked since 2001.
I must say that I found it to be an excellent tobacco.
Really enjoyed it. Sweet, yet nice and strong.
Very satisfying. :puffy:

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I have just finished a tin of Charatan No 10. It's a new match blend meant to copy London Mixture. I must say they have done a pretty good job. Although I don't have JimInk's palate for these things I think that if and when London Mixture becomes unavailable, it will make a perfectly satisfactory substitute imo.
Mike

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I tried London Mixture years ago (Murray's era?), but had to turn to the notes in my Tobacco Journal in order to jog my memory. They state, "Tastes like cigarette tobacco with little-to-no Latakia. Yuck!" Perhaps mine was an off tin?

whitebar

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I always found London Mixture to be my favorite of the Dunhill blends containing Latakia. I still have a few of the painted label tins produced by Murray's that I'm slowly working my way through.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, I've always enjoyed that one. I'm pretty sure I still have a tin left, so I need to review my supplies. Sutliff made one quite similar, Westminster I think it was, not to be confused with the G.L. Pease blend, but not currently available so far as I can tell. But London Mixture was/is one of Dunhill's best, mild but not bland, with nuance and a good burn.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Good stuff, very nice Oriental/Turkish touch. I may have to put some back, I sat on my haunches while the Royal Yacht sold out (4 left) and McClelland sold out (only 1 #24 left and 2 Beacon Extra left). I regret not stockpiling the Beacon Extra. Maybe I should learn my lesson.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Just tried it for the first time thanks to a care package from Ashdigger. I love it! Story of my life, I come to the party late. Guess I'll have to look at the replacement matches.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
The merchant from whom I bought the Charatan No 10 told me that London Mixture is not one of Dunhill's biggest sellers. That meant (he told me) that he would have some in stock for probably a few years yet. I don't know how this applies to the US, but if you like it, you will probably be able to get it for a little while. I would encourage you to put a few tins aside.
Mike

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
Pease's Westminster is based on the Murray blend of London Mixture, and I find it to be my favorite English.
SmokingPipes has Dunhill's London Mixture in stock: You should buy all you can afford because WTGTG.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I'll second what cerfer said. Last week I was in a local shop that had 1 tin of London Mixture left. On a whim, I bought Westminster instead, not knowing that it's an attempt to replicate Murray's version of London Mixture. I don't feel so bad about LM's apparent demise, and honestly I think Westminster is a little better.
Here's the story straight from the horse's mouth: http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=37

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
First pipe of the day. I never smoke until I get home from work and I can kick back and relax.
Just fired up a bowl of LM. Just a little bit of heaven right here on earth!
I do like Westminster as well. I think London Mixture is a bit sweeter and spicier.
Both are top notch.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Personal preference is the bottom line. And personally it's my favorite Dunhill Blend of all time. Oriental forward and latakia in the background.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Perfect balance on the Latakia. Definitely one of my "go to" blends when I'm in the mood for an English. Luckily I had the foresight to stash a few tins away. Still plenty in the local B&Ms.

Status
Not open for further replies.