PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Around 75% of my pipe smoking is done out of a small Vauen pocket pipe which is around Group 1 sized my wife gifted me for Christmas 3 or 4 years ago. The Vauen does the job, but has taken a beating over the years including now a small crack in the shank. I'm looking for a straight billiard replacement similar in size to a Dunhill Group 1 (around 4.5" long) without paying for a Dunhill as I literally carry this pipe in my jacket pocket. I've only found one similar pipe on smokingpipes.com, a Ropp: Vintage Smooth (275) which is $80.
I was hoping some here might have suggestions, small/pocket pipes that might be a better or even cheaper option.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo gtr - a crack in the shank is easily reinforced if you have a friend who makes fishing rods. Have him/her use the same technique as winding on line guides. If a little artistry is applied, the results can be beautiful. To my eye, this can result in a nicer look than with a metal band.
hp

les

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I hadn't thought of using chamber measurements in the pipe locator, when I first began my search I looked hoping to use length, but that wasn't available so I gave up. Great idea.
It also never occurred to me to wrap the shank like winding on guide lines on a fishing pole, thanks for that idea also!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great idea, les. I have a couple of pipes that aren't worth the band of gold or silver, even nickel, so that sounds perfect.
Have you any photos of such repairs?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One of the NYC club members favors group 1 sizes pipes. He has some exquisite Becker's that are just amazing. He's a new member here, but I can't remember his screen name!

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I'll check out Becker's line. If you happen to remember his sn, just shoot me a pm. Thanks for the heads up!

hirsute

Lurker
Jun 10, 2015
You might want to check out Trevor Talbert's Ligne Bretagne pipes. These are made with very old french stummels and they tend to be on the smaller size, so you might find one that's around a group 1 size. My only true group 1 bowl is actually an old Sasieni Mayfair, so you may want to check out English estates and see what you can find.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
While I have never actually held or looked at a Dunhill group anything, not having knowledge about something never stopped me before LOL. I suspect that a Ferndown 1* would be very close. I have a Ferndown 1* and it is a sweet little pipe. The pic below shows the 1* above my XL Layton bent billiard. It really is a small sweet smoking pipe. Anyway hope you find something great!! Happy Smokes!!
001-600x337.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
One Star Ferndowns are a rare thing, same for 1X Ashtons.
For current makers, Scottie Piersel is noted for making smaller pipes.

http://www.ladybriar.com/Gallery.php

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the Ferndown 1* and will keep my eyes open for one to come available. Thanks for the additional info on Scottie Piersel and the link ssjones, that's very helpful and always fun to find a new maker!
My apologies as a new guy for the Group 1 reference. I probably should've used simple measurements, like 4.5" length and bowl size. That's why I'm a new guy I guess!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you would like several small pipes for a rotation, Ewa makes a fine little pipe for a ridiculously low price. I have one and it's good quality.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=192989

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops ... this was supposed to be the Ewa pipes page at Iwan Ries, so let me try that again, and I apologize. These are Group 2 pipes (and some Group 4's) but I think the Group 2's might do the job.
http://www.iwanries.com/Ewa-C1860.cfm
How I got from the iwan ries site to smokingpipes.com and the Oscar Lucite Savinelli page, I have no idea. I'm the Typhoid Mary of cyber space.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Those Ewa's are some nice looking little pipes and most seem to be about $55 or less and some are under 4". Excellent suggestion, thanks! I wondered about your first post but googled the brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.