PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Nice review Bob. Spot on and I have to agree with every bit of it. I just assumed the smokiness was from some Latakia in the blend also.

It’s a bit too much for me early in the morning, but then so is Chelsea Morning,…..my taste buds like to be gently stirred just a bit,….not shook awake and thrown out the second story window of the Spice Hotel in Flavor Town. I enjoy it mid afternoon, outside.

Beautiful blend, and hopefully I’ll always have some on hand.
My tin says made in EU your's says DK?

I guess that Denmark, which is a part of Europa (EU).

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Nice review Bob. This is a blend I have not tried yet. The review is enticing. 8)

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Tommy Said: My tin says made in EU your's says DK?

My tin also says made in the EU. DK does stand for Denmark.
The reason that I put Denmark as the country is because Dunhill pipe tobaccos are made by Orlik and Orlik is in Denmark.

So that means that Dunhill pipe tobaccos are made in Denmark.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Just ordered 3 tins last night: My Mixture 965, Nightcap, and Early Morning Pipe, can't wait for them to come in!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Great review, Bob. Looks like another addition to my TAD list. Christmas is coming, so maybe..............

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
bhpdrew: I just ordered some from pipesandcigars.com, on top of that, they're having a sale on them! :D

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Great Review, I have not smoked this blend in a long while but it sounds just as I remember it. I always enjoyed it early in the day. I'll have to order some.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I would've sworn EMP was a Latakia blend, but I stand corrected and newly educated.
@Tommy

:laughat:

my taste buds like to be gently stirred just a bit,….not shook awake and thrown out the second story window of the Spice Hotel in Flavor Town.
My tin says made in EU your's says DK?

Yes, Denmark is part of the EU.
Please allow me to put on my marketing hat for a minute.
The full wording on the tin is as follows:
Manufactured in the EU under the authority of Dunhill Tobacco of London Limited, 1A St. James, London SW 1A 1EF.
My personal belief is that this wording gives the consumer a higher level of comfort that the tobacco is of the high quality that can be expected from the decades old reputation going back to the origins of Alfred Dunhill.
To dissect it a bit more ...
- "London" alone connotes a high level of quality, and is where Dunhill started.
- "under the authority of Dunhill" - provides an extra layer of credibility that this is the real deal - the tobacco of legend.
- "Manufactured in the EU" - is a nice way of saying it isn't really made in England anymore, but we don't want to use the word Denmark, since that may conjure up thoughts of some of the Danish aromatics that have given tobacco made in Denmark a bad name because they taste like cardboard and burn the heck out of your tongue.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Well it seems that there may be some Latakia in EMP.
I first thought that there might be some in it, but I could not find any conclusive info on it. And as I stated in my review, the smokiness in the tin aroma and room note dissipated very quickly which is unlike Latakia so I assumed that it wasn't Latakia.
I am waiting on some info that will hopefully settle it once and for all.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have to make a correction to this review. After further investigation, I have found out from Orlik that this blend does contain Latakia.
You can see the full Editors Note/ Correction here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco-reviews/dunhill-early-morning-pipe-pipe-tobacco-reviews/

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I was wondering about that. It has been a while since I last smoked EMP.

But, I know the War Department's nose said there was latakia in it. :D

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Not too much correction needed, Bob. You did say that you picked-up on the smokiness.

The issue raised in the review was whether it was attribuable to Latakia.

I don't think there's too much that can get past your palate.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Great job Bob.
Updating my last post,.....after a few more bowls of Early Morning Pipe I've learned a thing or two; this blend is very much like a very hot cup of coffee... it needs to savored by "sipping", not gulping.
If I smoke it like I do 1-Q or any of the other lighter blends I enjoy,...it bites back with a peppery zing.
The bowl I had early this morning with my coffee was absolutely wonderful! Although my wife wrinkled up her nose when she walked in.

rls80

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
I've recently been getting away from aromatics and into blends like Squadron Leader, Old Dublin and Best Brown Flake for example. Would this be a good choice in view of me getting into the ones I just mentioned? Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.