PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Seems Dark Flake itself is under Attack as in hard to get.

Opinions and comparisons welcome, Charatan/McConnell Black Flake, Wessex Brigade Campaign, and would any of you include Rattray's Marlin Flake in the running?
Are there any others that I'm missing?

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Seems Dark Flake itself is under Attack as in hard to get.

Opinions and comparisons welcome, Charatan/McConnell Black Flake, Wessex Brigade Campaign, and would any of you include Rattray's Marlin Flake in the running?
Are there any others that I'm missing?
Ive been smoking some 2016 Dark Flake recently and none of those are even close, Astleys 44 isnt even in the same ballpark so not sure where that came from. The closest things Ive smoked that remind me of it are KBV Acadian Flek, HU Janneman Flake and Peterson Navy Rolls.

However Ive never had McConnells Black Flake but I heard its not really the same.

• Love
Reactions: vosBghos

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Probably nothing is going to match.

I would recommend trying to enjoy something on it's own. Something that I think is unique, that I remember really enjoying around the time I was smoking a lot of Dunhill Dark Flake, is C&D's Dreams of Kadath. It has some similarity and a lot to keep you intrigued.

Reactions: seanv and vosBghos

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Here's an older thread with some recommendations.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I was given one tin of Dark Flake and immediately fell in love with it. I keep a few smokes' worth still jarred, since I don't think I'll get it again.

I very much like Astley's 44 and McConnell Black Flake as well. Although they are not clones, for me they scratch the itch similarly.

I could see why some might suggest Marlin Flake here too. But for me, for some reason, Marlin Flake is really inconsistent. Some days it scratches the Dark Flake/A44/Black Flake kind of itch, but more often then not it seems very different.

Reactions: vosBghos