PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Some of the older Castello's can have a tight draw and almost no trumpeting in the slot. Anything with a Kino stamp should have a large airway (4,5mm), though they do seem to vary on occasion, they should all have a modern airway diameter and a well chamfered tenon.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I want to second the idea of a commission. I saw someone here in the last couple of months get two Mark Tinsky pipes made to order and he raved about the experience. One of them was done in like 48 hours or something crazy like that. I haven't commissioned from Mark, but I have a couple of his pipes and they are right up there in smoking quality.
Besides, since it seems to be wife sanctioned, the fact that it is a brand new "just for you" pipe may show her how much you appreciate her efforts.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Neatpipes is a great site. I would also check out pulversbriars. Marty has a lot of Castellos and he is a great guy and an honest seller. I just posted one for sale myself in the Pipes and Accessories section of these forums. You are welcome to check it out.

For me, there is no comparison. Castellos over Dunhills any day!

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for the amazing insight. Okay, I did it! I pulled the trigger on my first Castello. Since I already have a Dunhill I thought I would add the Castello. Now I can decide which one I will like better. Not that I can keep buying either but it will be an interesting smoking experience.
Thanks again for the comments. It is greatly appreciated.
Happy Holidays to all.

Nov 21, 2016
Good for you..can't go wrong with Castello.

Owning a few dunhills and two sea rocks I can say for certain the button and stem are at near opposite ends of the spectrum.

Dunhills with the thin tips should be almost never clinched, where as the Castello can handle a good bite.

Many good bowls ahead for you and would suggest this won't be your last.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If what you really long for is a Dunhill you'll be dissatisfied with anything else. Nothing to do with the pipe, just human nature. Estate Dunhills come up all the time in good quantity. If you can control your impulse to spend your Christmas loot right away, one will come up soon.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
For those of you scoring at home I received my Castello yesterday. I haven't had the pleasure of smoking it yet - but - I can't wait.... Details to follow. Now I have to decide which tobacco to use for the inaugural smoke. Decisions, decisions.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
congratulations on the shape 55 castello. beautiful pot-shape and a fine smoker with any tobacco, but especially nice with complex english & oriental blends. enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd also look at Ser Jacopo (as others have suggested) and Ferndowns. I would also shop some of the other established artisanal pipes, some of which are still well-priced. Castellos are beauties, but you might want to keep their weight in mind, unless you prefer heavy pipes. Dunhills are lovely, but the prices are infuriating.

Status
Not open for further replies.