PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Last week I found this Dunhill Bruyere Bulldog (Group 3) at a reasonable price. What I thought would be a quick clean up turned out to be a bit more. All that carbon build-up on the rim hid some dings and scorch marks. The front had a crease and some dents and the shank was in several different tones. It would need to be stripped and the damage repaired. From the beginning I had wanted a darker pipe so it got re-stained as mahogany. To “Restore” is to return to original condition so I’ll call this one a reconditioning but it turned out to be just what I had been looking for.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great job you did there. That pipe is very handsome with the dark stain. :puffy:

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
gloucesterman, that is some damn fine work! I would swear they are not the same pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Very fine job indeed. However I spied something a little worrying and it is that the diamond portion of the stem has its corners severely rounded compared to the before pictures where they are nice & crisp and 'square'.
Would that be due to buffing I wonder?
Regards,
Jay.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Now move 25 years (or more) hence. A question from a future pipe forum member. " I have this estate Dunhill bulldog I picked up. Everything seems ok but, the stain color, did I get a factory experimental pipe, maybe one a shop worker pilfered and stained himself? Lol. Nice rework.
Mike S.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I generally don't like changing much on old pipes, but the work you do is always striking and tasteful. I much prefer the "after" to the "before", great job! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.