PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
That's unfortunate about the pipe. Glad you're able to work things out with the pipe shop.

My friend has several Dunhill pipes, and while they look nice, I don't think they're worth $600+ dollars he paid. I think my Savinelli Fiammata pipe is just as nice if not nicer than his Dunhill's. The Fiammata line are the seconds for the Giubileo d'Oro line of Savinelli pipes as they have a small flaw. Mine has a very small fill on the bottom of the bowl. Which no one ever sees. My Fiammata was 1/3 the price of my friends Dunhill's.

I really like all four of my Dunhill's and they are probably overall my most smoked pipes. But as much as I love my Dunhill's I do feel like they are probably 20-25% over priced.

I also have a few higher end Savinelli pipes and the Punto Oro and Guibileo Oro are definitely a bargain in that price range. Especially when SPC gets in the legacy stock models I like at a discount to current ones. Very good value for money in a nicer factory made pipe. I highly recommend the legacy stock, I have three or four and they are well made and top notch smokers.

Somewhat ironically, I'm still attached a bit more to my over priced Dunhills for reasons I can't quite articulate. Who said pipe smoking was supposed to be a purely rational value driven proposition?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think I remember you posting a pic of a Dunhill with a plant inside the pipe as a joke.
I did use a '74 LB as a cedar seedling starter then planted the whole thing to allow the trunk to thicken. After a couple of year I dug it up to pot it and the briar had rotted away. Not as a joke as I was infuriated at a "high quality" straight pipe not being able to pass a pipe cleaner and I needed a small container to get a cutting to take root.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I did use a '74 LB as a cedar seedling starter then planted the whole thing to allow the trunk to thicken. After a couple of year I dug it up to pot it and the briar had rotted away. Not as a joke as I was infuriated at a "high quality" straight pipe not being able to pass a pipe cleaner and I needed a small container to get a cutting to take root.

The absurdity of this "pass a cleaner" thing never ends.

It has been explained and addressed in detail in the following thread, and the thread itself linked to any number of times.

It's obvious you either don't "get it" or for some reason simply refuse to, but for newer forum guys who might wonder about the cleaner / airways situation, here it is again:

Before Using Your Pipes as Flower Pots or Throwing Them in a Landfill, do this... :: Pipe Talk - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/before-using-your-pipes-as-flower-pots-or-throwing-them-in-a-landfill-do-this.93388/

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC

It has been explained and addressed in detail in the following thread, and the thread itself linked to any number of times.

It's obvious you either don't "get it" or for some reason simply refuse to, but for newer forum guys who might wonder about the cleaner / airways situation, here it is again:

Before Using Your Pipes as Flower Pots or Throwing Them in a Landfill, do this... :: Pipe Talk - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/before-using-your-pipes-as-flower-pots-or-throwing-them-in-a-landfill-do-this.93388/

Thanks for that link. I have a few bent pipes that don't pass a pipe cleaner for that reason. I also have a Drexel and may even have that conical bit.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Two thoughts come to mind....

First: Some years ago a well known pipe "expert" on Dunhills (I forget his name) got busted for making and selling counterfeit Dunhills. Maybe it's one of his or someone else is making them. If there is money to be made with some scam, some crook is going to do it.

Second: It's made in France. What do you expect? puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

I find it funny that people care about that. I've had maybe two times where using a pipe cleaner during a smoke helped. I also find it funny I don't care and all my pipes pass a cleaner except the System pipe. I smoke mostly bents too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of us learn early that Dunhill is the "best" pipe, and you really need one if you are going to smoke at all. I just never bought in.

What is sublime about Dunhill is their marketing. They used to cost a little less than Kaywoodie, and neither was as expensive as today's price for a Dunhill corrected for inflation.

Dunhill just grabbed at the golden ring and told people there was the one and only sublime pipe, and many pipe smokers can't shake the idea. They are handsome and notably traditional in shape, but the pricing is almost silly.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I've seen crooked dots and very bad drilling.
I’ve seen bad things in my life, I’ve seen violence & I’ve seen dead people.
Never seen a straight Dunhill that can’t pass a pipe cleaner though. Then again, I’ve only bought my Dunhill’s brand new. If I remember rightly, you’ve not had one, not two, but three (!) straight Dunhills that won’t pass a cleaner? If I also remember rightly, all three have been bought off the bay at ‘bargain’ prices. There’s your problem right there, either that or you’re full of shit.

Trouble with buying pipes off the bay is you never know what you’re going to get. Previous owners may have ‘tinkered’ with the drilling to get that ‘wide open draw‘ that so many American pipe smokers deem necessary. Then again, the previous owner may have been one of those keyboard warriors or laptop wankers as we call them here in Britain, who’ve ‘tinkered’ with the pipe just for jolly!

Reactions: telescopes
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I agree that a modern (new) Dunhill should be flawless, and that is why they can demand the high price. It they don't have superior quality (including quality control) then the price point is way too high IMO. Just sayin...

Reactions: minerLuke

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Never seen a straight Dunhill that can’t pass a pipe cleaner though. Then again, I’ve only bought my Dunhill’s brand new. If I remember rightly, you’ve not had one, not two, but three (!) straight Dunhills that won’t pass a cleaner? If I also remember rightly, all three have been bought off the bay at ‘bargain’ prices. There’s your problem right there, either that or you’re full of shit.

Indeed.

If you do something that results in your being "infuriated", doing it again, and again, and then again, sounds like the punchline to a joke.

Oh wait... it is.

Never mind the fact that the specific construction detail which causes the fury reaction costs nothing to fix and takes two minutes.

Then... repeating the Dunhill Flower Pot Tantrum Story at every opportunity for years on end, the sole purpose being (apparently) to communicate contempt for the Dunhill brand, is the final piece of the puzzle.

It never occurred to me that simply being full of shit might explain the entire bizarre business.

rotf

• Haha
Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Indeed.

If you do something that results in your being "infuriated", doing it again, and again, and then again, sounds like the punchline to a joke.

Oh wait... it is.

Never mind the fact that the specific construction detail which causes the fury reaction costs nothing to fix and takes two minutes.

Then... repeating the Dunhill Flower Pot Tantrum Story at every opportunity for years on end, the sole purpose being (apparently) to communicate contempt for the Dunhill brand, is the final piece of the puzzle.

It never occurred to me that simply being full of shit might explain the entire bizarre business.

rotf
Yesterday, I went to Mueller's, a landscape and gardening shop in Palm Desert and while I was there I asked to speak to the owner. I had a proposition for him. I offered to sell him pipes to be used as tree starters.

He said to me, "Are you shitting me?"

to which I replied, "Am I?"

I told him I had some Dunhill pipes that generally sold for over $200-300 dollars on eBay. I would sell them to him to be used as Premium tree starters at around two hundred dollars a pop. After all, Bill Gates and the Koch Brothers all have homes just a few miles away. What a great statement they could each make, respectively to their own politics.

He didn't take me up on my offer.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im kind of with the op. A pipe that price shouldn’t have flaws. Ive a lot of pipes that are considered higher end but no dunhills. I find it difficult to believe they would smoke better than what I own. In the end a pipe can only be so good. It’s a tube with a pot at one end.

Dunhills dont match the style I prefer. Otherwise Id grab a couple.

If Im wrong and they really outsmoke everything else Im open to hearing about it.

Reactions: dingdong
Oct 11, 2023
Hi everyone,
can someone please help me identify this Dunhill? Bought it at a flea market, maybe fake:)
happy piping

Attachments

• 20231011_170217.jpg
    20231011_170217.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231011_170121.jpg
    20231011_170121.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231011_161704.jpg
    20231011_161704.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231011_161633.jpg