PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have a 1930's Dunhill 'bowling ball' stem that I fitted to a1936 Dunhill. The earliest bowling ball stem example I can find is a 1933, and all of them that I've found were fitted to 'Root Briar' pipes.

Questions: What's the earliest that these came out? Were they a stem option for pipes other than the Root briars?

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Since it didn't happen unless there's a picture, here's a pic before I restored the stem. It's got some CA glue drying on it at the moment, but I'll put up 'After' pics tomorrow. The black stem is a non-original 1950's stem that was fitted to the stummel by someone else.

WvMGvea.jpeg

Reactions: paulfg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
An early example it appears of brindle vulcanite used on their Cumberland pipes and the reason the material is often referred to as cumberland now.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I would be curious to know when it was first used on a Dunhill.
I've owned a few over the years.

Yes, same here - I mis-phrased my question. Their use on the Root Briars pre-dates the Cumberland (1979 intro) by at least 45 years. This one, with the tiny dot, clearly was never on a 'Cumberland' Dunhill.

Here's a better pic of the stem which still needs some work.

ADeoSd2.jpeg

c1lv6ip.jpeg

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That's good info that I was unaware of.

Okay, I just found a 1932 non-Root Briar plum finish Dunhill Canadian, with a bowling ball stem...in my 'restore' box 😅

Not sure how I forget about such things, but I guess that answers my original question.
Yeah, goes way back. I've got an artisan piece with a stem made from 1930s bowling ball rod stock.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
It means the stem is made of a material that has a wood like grain to it. Dunhill originally called these stem material "bowling ball" (I assume they were of the same swirled/colored rubber composition as a bowling ball). Later Dunhil referred them as Brindle and then Cumberland.
Dunhill's name has mostly been brindle. Cumberland came from their line that prominently featured the brindle stems and has become the designation of swirled vulcanite by smokers.
Thanks for the info!

Reactions: Chasing Embers

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
'About Smoke' (facsimile of 1928 Dunhill catalog) only mentions as special stems: amber, ivory and tortoiseshell. I couldn't find examples of brindle stems anywhere in the book.