PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not about optimism. Popular opinion about any tobacco use isn't on our side. The WHO has me more concerned than the FDA.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Please, define "huge" in either financial numbers or number of smokers. I'm betting a company, deeply invested in tobacco products, would appreciate the information so they can adjust their business plan.
Population of Eurasia is 4,618 billion (other sources say 5,2 billion). I consider more than half of the planet's population as huge market.

In China, more than 300 million people are tobacco users, while India adds another 275 million to the tally Read more from Asian Scientist Magazine at: https://www.asianscientist.com/2012/08/features/smoking-in-asia-looming-health-epidemic-2012/

This number only increased since 2012. And we didn't even mention smokers in Europe (20% of poulation ~ 148,3 million people) and wealthier countries in Asia, in the Middle-East, Japan, etc. Let's say that 0,5% of this number is a pipe smoker (or potential pipe smoker), it is still a big number, roughly 5 million people. Of course, I'm not a researcher of this field, but in my opinion there is an opportunity for pipe tobacco there.

samw74

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
Elizabethan Match is an excellent vaper, and as close to the Murray’s version except for the lack of lemon VA. I would love to see a Dunhill Flake Match.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
To clarify: Scandinavian Tobacco Group isn't responsible for killing off the latest versions of Dunhill. They were contracted by the Dunhill trademark holder to make the tobaccos. It's the people who own the Dunhill name who are responsible for their demise. The reason I refer to the "trademark holder" is that I don't have enough time left on this planet to unravel the whole Dunhill/Richemont/BAT thing well enough to know which entity actually holds the rights to the Dunhill name for tobaccos.
Russ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I doubt I could understand the intricacies of the ownership and revenue stream if they were explained to me, but I strongly suspect that the brand, pipe tobacco under the name Dunhill, has likely diminished it sales by actually or appearing to pull out of the market. Like many other pipe smokers, I've foraged into other brands and blends and haven't bought anything Dunhill in a year or two or more. So if this is some kind of business strategy, good luck to them. I'll enjoy the tins of Dunhill stashed away, but these will be a nostalgia trip, not continuing patronage.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
likely diminished it sales by actually or appearing to pull out of the market
It is no longer available. How could it not have diminished their sales (of pipe tobacco)?
I'll enjoy the tins of Dunhill stashed away, but these will be a nostalgia trip, not continuing patronage.
Well, right, obviously. You can't patronize them by buying their tobacco because they have chosen not to sell it.
Am I missing the point? Are you saying you won't buy other Dunhill branded products because they left the pipe tobacco market? Are you suggesting that they continue to sell their tobacco on the secondary market (so they are making a killing by secretly selling their tobacco on Ebay, rather than through retail)?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rye', I'm just saying if there were a plot (there isn't) to bring back the brand after a sale or relicensing, it would not work well because they've tended more to dismantle their customer base rather than juice up the demand. We're agreeing, but I'm using this awkward hypothetical to say the same thing. Over is probably over. Sorry to over narrate the obvious. AQ

h3rodotus

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
They're baaaack!
Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S acquires premium pipe tobacco brands
Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S has closed a deal to acquire certain pipe tobacco trademarks and designs from Dunhill Tobacco Company of London Limited, a subsidiary of British American Tobacco p.l.c. Included in the deal are premium pipe tobacco trademarks such as Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap, Royal Yacht and Elizabethan Mixture that were previously sold under the Dunhill brand and carry a solid reputation as well as premium positioning. The price paid is confidential, but immaterial.
Scandinavian Tobacco Group will market the acquired trademarks as sub-brands to existing brands in the company’s portfolio. The acquisition strengthens Scandinavian Tobacco Group’s product range in the premium pipe tobacco segment in important pipe tobacco markets such as the US, Germany and across Asia.
Regis Broersma, Senior Vice President for Scandinavian Tobacco Group’s Smoking Tobacco & Accessories Division says: “We are very happy and proud to add these well-known pipe tobacco brands to our existing strong portfolio. They will enhance our offering to our consumers – and we look forward to protect and explore the full potential of the portfolio by leveraging our sales and marketing competencies.”
http://tools.euroland.com/tools/PressReleases/GetPressRelease/?ID=3623975&lang=en-GB&companycode=services

Status
Not open for further replies.