PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
Amongst some vintage blend aficionados, we recently discussed tin design during the transition from Murray's to Orlik in 2005. A friend just aquired this specimen of Dunhill Flake:

f219t16511p274638n2_LNhDpbHv.jpeg

Clearly an Orlik tin, but it says "Manufactured in the UK".

Were there any "leftovers" at Murray's that were tinned by Orlik during the transition? Otherwise "Manufacturd in UK" would not make sense.

Anyone here to enlighten me?

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
No, that is a Murray's tin. University Flake had that type of tin and so did Erinmore Flake.
Yes, I have heard that STG started off with Murray's leftover leaf, at first. For how long, I do not know.

Reactions: Duke of Erinmore

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
No, that is a Murray's tin. University Flake had that type of tin and so did Erinmore Flake.
Yes, I have heard that STG started off with Murray's leftover leaf, at first. For how long, I do not know.
Thanks!

Nonetheless I doubt that it is a genuine Murray's tin. The Murray's tins were painted (same for Erinmore) and did not have a sticker. Also the brass edge is an Orlik thing.

I'm in possession of many old tobacco catalogues. Here is a screenprint from a 2005 issue (so the catalogue was probably layouted in 2004), that's how Murray's tins looked like at the time:

Bild 19.01.23 um 23.38.jpeg